The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is life all about money?

Is life all about money?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. ...
  14. 17
  15. 18
  16. 19
  17. All
You will only get that by doing an Arts degree.
Mr Opinion,
Every no-hoper in authority has an Arts Degree. Every useful professional probably prefers to forget about the process that involved obtaining that Degree.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 8:14:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In other countries you couldn't call yourself an engineer unless you're proven to have brains.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 8:16:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Patrick Deneen and Liz Coleman talk about the Liberal Arts.

My understanding is the Liberal Arts is about the Art of Learning to be Free or the Art of Happiness. It predates the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. But the addition of modern topics appears to have drowned much of the traditions of the Arts through topics such as Post Modern Deconstructivism- that discusses the power dynamic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Deneen_(author)

http://www.ted.com/talks/liz_coleman_a_call_to_reinvent_liberal_arts_education

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment

Patrick Deneen and Liz Coleman seem to say that The Arts are a shadow of their former selves and have been replaced by ideology and dogmatism and has become corrupted.

I wouldn't consider Mr Opinion to be especially dogmatic along the lines of any particular ideology however he is proud and probably rightly so to have managed to overcome the hurdles of his numerous degrees.

The Liberal Arts appears to ask questions that people have been asking for thousands of years so that we can achieve a greater understanding of ourselves and what a good life is- if this is true then it is probably a great pursuit.

You could argue that people such as Socrates, the Stoics, the Epicureans were the first traditions in the Liberal Arts.

There's some good material in The Republic.

However I prefer to go back to source material rather than go to university to study the Liberal Arts.

Sadly I'm sure that there are many good people in the University Liberal Arts programs but it is being destroyed by ideology.

It's been said that you don't go to university to learn what to think but how to think- how to be a good citizen, etc- that's apparently where the Liberal Arts comes in.

A lot of what we discuss on Online Opinion probably relates to issues of the Liberal Arts and governing but the Liberal Arts has become corrupted.
Posted by Canem Malum, Tuesday, 15 September 2020 10:45:48 PM
Canem Malum,

You are totally correct in what you say although I must say that I never saw any instances of the Arts being corrupted.

For me I wanted to do my 3 Arts degrees simply because I wanted to be an educated person.

And you are right when you say that all the things we discuss on The Forum belong to areas covered by the Arts. We all want to structure our opinions and ideas in terms of the Arts things like history, sociology, anthropology, archaeology, philosophy, etc. and hopefully the Sciences as well.

Because deep down we all want to be seen as educated people who understand how our world works and try to come up with solutions to make our world a better place to live in.

Even the shadyminister, FOULmouth, Phil, and others, would agree with that.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Wednesday, 16 September 2020 7:13:57 AM
Funny that.

When I was at one university, I met one prominent professor who knew my work only from my OLO writings.

Doubt he would ever read my academic pieces; few do read them.

Academic papers are mostly a boring and biased read.

The humanities tradition will long survive, no matter what happens in the universities.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 16 September 2020 7:22:29 AM
The swamp donkey has 3 arts degrees

An undergraduate degree in airs and graces
A masters in pretentiousness
A second masters in posing
and I suspect he is working on a Phd in pomposity.

All of the above was done on the taxpayer's dime and has benefited mankind not a jot.

He only posts to troll people and in spite of claiming to be "educated in history" posted a single historical "fact" that was out by more than a century.
Posted by shadowminister, Wednesday, 16 September 2020 8:40:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12