The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Don't Purge The Solar!

Don't Purge The Solar!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Hey everyone, I just came across this article.

- Energy operator wants to remotely switch off rooftop solar systems amid 'uncontrolled growth'
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-30/grid-operator-looks-to-manage-solar-power-output-in-sa/12202004

This follows on from an earlier article where WA discussed doing the same thing:
- The rise of solar power is jeopardising the WA energy grid, and it's a lesson for all of Australia
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-01/rise-of-rooftop-solar-power-jeopardising-wa-energy-grid/11731452

A quick look shows dams in SA are at least 55GL under capacity.
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dams+in+south+australia

Now I'm not an electrical engineer, but I say NO to purging excess solar.
I want them to use that excess power to switch on pumps that refill the dams, so that we turn the dams into more efficient batteries that store energy.

Excess energy should be used to refill the dams.

Don't purge that solar!
If that's the best they can come up with, they may as well start mining bitcoin with that excess power.
If state governments can lose the better part of a billion dollars and openly plan to purge rooftop solar then we're run by idiots and need new thinking on these issues.

What do others think?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 1 May 2020 7:50:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wind and solar has been reported as mucking up the network for some time. It doesn't appear to have had much, if any, effect on the average household. The thing to think about is this 'remote control' lurk that shadowy characters would like to exercise. Remember their desire to remotely switch your power off in times of high demand; smart meters and so on. Watch out for Big Brother. The restrictions they have brought in because of the China virus shows how dangerous our government is.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 1 May 2020 9:30:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
«we're run by idiots»

And I thought that every one is responsible for their own life...

How about installing your own raisable rain-water tank in your backyard, then use the excess, gravity-stored, solar power to heat your home for free in cold winter nights?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 1 May 2020 9:31:50 AM
ttbn,

Can you please stop using the term 'China virus'? It is overly racist. Please use 'Wuhan virus' in future.

And if you don't do what I ask I will see if I can get Twiggy to bring in a couple of Chinese Communist Party heavies to set you right.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 1 May 2020 9:36:27 AM
ttbn,

PS And if you think I'm kidding then just have a look at this to see exactly what Twiggy can do:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/melbourne/extraordinary-scenes-as-chinese-diplomat-hijacks-government-coronavirus-press-conference-to-praise-beijings-handling-of-the-crisis-and-reject-australias-demands-for-an-inquiry-into-the-outbreak/ar-BB13nhV3
Posted by Mr Opinion, Friday, 1 May 2020 9:39:19 AM
Armchair,
It is indeed stupid and completely unwarranted. The problem is that the grid was not designed for negative demand, and the electricity distributors prefer a workaround over a fix. But already the inverters automatically curtail the output when the voltage gets too high, so further action is unnecessary.

But pumping water is not a solution. SA's dams can't be refilled when the water isn't there! There is a very small amount of pumped storage that can be used with water from the Murray, but it is far too small to be a significant contributor to supply or demand.

Pumped storage using seawater has been proposed for SA, but meanwhile SA has pioneered an alternative solution: batteries.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 1 May 2020 10:55:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy