The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > REDUCING PEOPLE IN PRISON

REDUCING PEOPLE IN PRISON

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Dear Individual,

«Does that mean you'd support a call for Top Bureaucrats/PublicServants salaries to be reduced so that blue collar workers wages' are worth more ?»

No, this is not implied from anything I said so far on this thread.

But since you asked, yes, I believe that it would be a good idea.

---

Dear Hasbeen,

«Those who choose to be anti social & break the laws of the society they share have actually chosen to go to prison.»

A few may have made that choice, but this is certainly not the general case.
Also, when have we ever been given the choice whether or not to share a society with each other and accept its laws? Some have indeed made this choice, but many others did not and could well be described as "victims" of society!

Note also that some of those who go to prison (including Cardinal Pell) broke no laws - have they also chosen to go to prison?

«but don't start expecting the more rational amongst us to follow any fool dictates of that belief.»

Then don't start expecting people of faith to follow the fool dictates of your society. If you force your society and its laws over others who share not your world-view and interests, then these are the actions of immoral brutes.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 10 April 2020 2:03:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,
How would you like to deal with people who stole nearly everything you have accumulated ?
Give them a cup of tea & Cuddle them ?
And, when you're broke have some insipid Magistrate tell you that there's nothing that can be done other than pay the culprit's legal defence ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 11 April 2020 7:01:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
our legal system, on some issues, is too soft.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Saturday, 11 April 2020 11:13:03 AM
Dear Individual,

«How would you like to deal with people who stole nearly everything you have accumulated ?»

If possible, I would try to get what I lost back.
If not, then it means that I deserved to lose what I had, possibly because I did not earn it in honest ways.

Locking others in prison would be most foolish: it would not bring back what I lost and instead only bring me further pain. Was it not enough that I lost it all that I must also undergo imprisonment or something equivalent? No, thanks!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 12 April 2020 12:09:01 AM
Yuyutsu,

Do you think that someone who is being assaulted for no apparent reason could consider that his life is in danger and may respond with deadly force?

Personally I do so think and further I think that anyone attempting to force entry into my home intends to kill me.

I don't think that in these cases the offenders should go to prison, I think that the only logical response is that they should be stopped in their aggression by being killed.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 12 April 2020 10:13:36 PM
Dear Is Mise,

Self defense is excusable.
It is short of ideal, but then how many of us live a perfect ideal life? Not me anyway.

So yes, if you believe that your life, or that of your family, is in danger, then you may respond with deadly force.

«Personally I do so think and further I think that anyone attempting to force entry into my home intends to kill me.»

Or is desperate for toilet paper. You need to be careful.

Yes, the only ones who might need to go to prison are those who are reasonably liable to do it again, so it ought to be based on the future, not the past. If you kill them instead, then you are likely to cause less suffering than by throwing them in jail, but you need to aim well so you do not leave them crippled and disabled.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 12 April 2020 11:33:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy