The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Oath by Members of Parliament

Oath by Members of Parliament

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15
  13. All
Steele,

Is it perjury to knowingly swear a false oath?

No MP is forced to swear the Oath, they have a choice, they could state that swearing allegiance to the Queen is against their principles and that they refuse to do so.

However they do not, so they knowingly perjure themselves, why is that?

You quoted law, perhaps you can shew us the specific law that allows Members to commit perjury?

Is there a exemption for MsP to break the law?

Do tell.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 25 December 2019 1:27:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Is Mise,

«When you were conscripted, I presume in Australia, all that you needed to do was refuse, on religious grounds»

I thank you for your consideration and care, but this was not in Australia and no such option was available, a beard too would be of no use. It was one of my main reasons for escaping to Australia.

«all the Members go there willingly and allow big bucks to be spent in the process.»

All right, so I don't need to pity them, but what about their electorate? Why should they be deprived of representation?

Suppose 90% of a given electorate disagree with the basics of the constitution (not necessarily with the monarchy as that was only an example, let us say as a counter-example that they wish to become part of England and be directly ruled by the Queen and the Queen alone) and knowingly elect a representative to represent them and their views. Why would their representative be required to take a crippling oath that prevents him/her from duly representing them?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 25 December 2019 1:34:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,

They are not required to take a crippling oath, they can refuse and rather than commit perjury they should refuse.
Refusal is the only honourable course of action.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 25 December 2019 3:05:32 PM
I advised a young bloke to grow a beard
Is Mise,
Who needs any kind of Govt with Patriots like that ?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 25 December 2019 3:51:36 PM
Dear Is Mise,

«Refusal is the only honourable course of action.»

You have a point here!

I suppose the same also applies to their constituents, so they too ought to refuse to pay taxes and follow the laws of a country which doesn't allow them to be represented. It does remind me of the situation in Hong Kong, where only those who agree in principle with the central government are allowed to represent the voters.

---

Dear Individual,

«Who needs any kind of Govt with Patriots like that ?»

Is Mise did the right thing in this case, which is not only compassionate but also happens to be a very patriotic act:

Who needs to have a desperately disgruntled soldier in their army who, at the critical point in the thick of battle, would turn his gun backward at his commanders?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 25 December 2019 5:32:59 PM
Individual,

So, do you condone perjury in general or only in Parliament?

If the candidate for election tells his potential constituents that he will not take the Oath then they can vote him in and send the Nation a message or they can vote for someone else, they aren't being robbed of anything.
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 25 December 2019 7:11:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. 15