The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A ‘Voice’ for all Indigenous People

A ‘Voice’ for all Indigenous People

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Belly,

No, I was merely suggesting that the rock-solid belief on the part of many whitefellas that Indigenous people can't do much, or anything, for themselves but must wait for outsiders to do it for them, is an example of what Noel Pearson has called "the soft racism of low expectation". I'll stick by that. Christ, I've done that myself over many years. One principle in community development is not to actually do for people what they can (and should) do for themselves (otherwise that's called 'social work').

As for my suggestion of another news-and-views medium, I did suggest up-front that it be on-line and, if possible, accompanied by spoken versions for people who were illiterate. Okay, that might be helped along by an Indigenous news-and-views TV channel, in order to give voice to otherwise excluded people.

So can I please amend my suggestion, to include a TV channel ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 16 November 2019 8:20:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth ok mate but still think you maybe be onto something
Right now saying such a properly edited paper could be of help, would even be one link in what could be a very long chain, seeing it is read or that someone reads it to groups
Sorry but see far too much of the pain some kids go through it hurts
Watched a family [it happens far too often] of whites fake evidence so they could PROFIT BY FOSTERING the kids
Heard kids being screamed at by a woman in that family we, us, must make welfare work not just be a bribe to keep them down
Mates of mine all land council, tell me constantly we must return to a work system that works not sit down money
Know about the high educated far brighter than me but see the can not reads here out number them ten fold it hurts
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 16 November 2019 12:14:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

Not just a paper in print, but something on-line, and perhaps televised as well, so that news can get out via the spoken word, and if possible, in as many languages as possible.

In an ideal world, where freedom of opinion and freedom of speech are respected, there could be a 'page' or segment of a TV broadcast where counter-opinions could be aired and discussed in a civil manner. Although getting people with varying views in the same studio does risk the casting about of chairs. Ah, the good old days :)

Okay, I'd concede that there are already many outlets, federally, in states, and regionally, in print, on-line and in radio and TV outlets as well. If people want a Voice, there are indeed many outlets already, and perhaps yet another newspaper/on-line outlet or radio or TV station are not really necessary.

So you and Foxy etc. are asserting that there would be no point in putting such a news and views outlet in the Constitution then ?

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 17 November 2019 12:50:08 PM
Belly,

Not just a paper in print, but something on-line, and perhaps televised as well, so that news can get out via the spoken word, and if possible, in as many languages as possible.

In an ideal world, where freedom of opinion and freedom of speech are respected, there could be a 'page' or segment of a TV broadcast where counter-opinions could be aired and discussed in a civil manner. Although getting people with varying views in the same studio does risk the casting about of chairs. Ah, the good old days :)

Okay, I'd concede that there are already many outlets, federally, in states, and regionally, in print, on-line and in radio and TV outlets as well. If people want a Voice, there are indeed many outlets already, and perhaps yet another newspaper/on-line outlet or radio or TV station are not really necessary.

So there would be no point in putting such a news and views outlet in the Constitution then ?

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 17 November 2019 12:51:53 PM
Got that [twice] no never said or think that in fact still think it would be worth trying
Think with me on this say you got a spot on the TV owned or aimed at these folk ran a questions answer next week type news thing, expand the idea with your own views but at least it could could help
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 17 November 2019 3:15:40 PM
Why kill the Goose that keeps laying the golden eggs ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 18 November 2019 2:13:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11