The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A ‘Voice’ for all Indigenous People

A ‘Voice’ for all Indigenous People

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Dear Joe,

No. You're not wrong. But if you really are so
concerned about whitefellas having low expectations
of our Indigenous People , then I assume you'd be
all for giving them a voice in the Constitution so
that they could have a voice in their affairs.
That blackfellas should have a say when parliament
makes changes affecting their distinct rights and
interests.

Glad you agree.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 15 November 2019 6:04:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
listening to ABC today on an aboriginal forum, and they were discussing that there are differences between Western education and Western expectations and aboriginal education, law and link to country. That they are part of country, and not an owner of a fenced block as it were. Ownership of land is part of White culture, which stems around a large part of Western law.
Posted by Josephus, Friday, 15 November 2019 6:22:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Josephus, what you are listening to is white skinned people who identify as indigenous spouting dogma they think fits the situation.
If at all possible you should talk to full blood traditional people or even part aboriginal people who live in remote areas. You would soon learn that they totally believe in land ownership and in fact multiple families up here are fighting viciously over who owns what land. Why do you think so many tribes want to break away from the Land Councils and manage their own land?
And the days of wanting to revert to traditional ways has long gone. Even the most remote tribes and communities have smart phone, iPads, NBN or satellite coverage. They have 4 wd vehicles with GPS and expensive boats with large outboard motors to help with hunting turtles and dugong. They insist on split system air conditioners in very remote housing. To project an image of being ruled by traditional cultural values is disingenuous.
As far as education goes, there are many white children living in very dysfunctional homes with drug addicted parents. At best they are removed and given to good foster carers.. Aboriginal children need the same protections.
Posted by Big Nana, Friday, 15 November 2019 7:17:44 PM
Foxy,

For the life of me, I can't join the dots between some hotshots having input into policy in Canberra, and parents in Wadeye or Yuendumu making sure their kids go to school, that they understand the value of education for their future employment, in trades or otherwise, and that they prepare themselves for better lives than their parents have had.

That's up to the parents, the people, the 'communities', and all I would expect of those Canberra-bound hotshots is, ideally but not likely, to exhort those parents and communities to get off their arses and do the right thing by their kids.

But when one is on a lifelong pension, from school unto death, then what's the point, the need, for any education at all for your kids, they'll be alright ? How to break that deceptively-attractive but ghastly cycle ? Can people be persuaded, as Noel Pearson points out, to get down off the comparatively well-paying (at least for effort expended) pedestal, and down onto the ground of real life ? You know, like most whitefellas do ?

The point of my dopey weekly publication idea was to facilitate the elicitation of opinions from 'ordinary', non-elite Indigenous people in relation to the issues in their daily lives. i.e. a voice FOR the people TO the people.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 15 November 2019 7:59:10 PM
Loudmouth not sure your recent highlighting some are racist was not aimed at me
However this much is true, I have been offered the right to call myself Aboriginal
And ashamed to say, have seen fraudulent claims from within my family to gain the benefits by false, total lies claims they are
I know of the very high standard of education some reach in our city's
TRUTH is many/most in country ex missions would not be able to read your paper
Too children with lumps of hair missing, victims of nits and yes sexual abuse are normal in some such places
Afraid if forcing education, health care, food not grog is racist, then that is me
We fail by never ever truly trying to fix these issues
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 16 November 2019 5:53:08 AM
Belly I have lived north of Alice among them for 13 weeks and most do not want to change their lifestyle. Just wandering and gathering is their primary enjoyment.
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 16 November 2019 6:21:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11