The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should We Worry About China?

Should We Worry About China?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All
An article in the Sydney Morning Herald, 11th August 2019 by Bevan Shields tells us that one of the United States most senior military figures has urged President Donald Trump to develop a new plan to deal with the rise of China and praised Australia for its "refreshing" national debate about the dangers of Beijing's expansion.

Admiral Scott Swift commander of the US Pacific Fleet from 2015 - 2018 said America lacked a "good strategy" to respond to the emerging superpower, but warned placing too much focus on military options increased the risk of confrontation.

In an interview ahead of his flight to Australia for a security summit in Perth, Admiral Swift also told the SMH and The Age that stinging criticism of China by Liberal MP Andrew Hastie -
"should be taken seriously."

Mr Hastie's comments sparked a furious rebuke from China and divided senior Morrison government ministers.

Mr Hastie's claims seem to be that China does pose a threat
to Australia and his belief that the world's approach to containing Beijing is similar to the failure to stop Nazi Germany.

Is the comparison with Germany a valid one?

Was Mr Hastie right to "ring the bell?"

Or should these views be brushed aside?

Should our government have a new plan to deal with China?
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 3:04:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ask Hong Kong
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 4:58:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner,

I'm asking you.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 5:12:36 PM
Dear Foxy,

I have being trying to ring the bell for the past ten years but kept getting told I didn't know what I was talking about. I think Andrew Hastie is right to raise the issue with China as being a threat. Just the same as Churchill raised the issue of the rising power of Hitler during the 1930s.

I think China has more similarities to pre-WW2 Japan than it has to Nazi Germany but I think Hastie was probably erring on the safe side of geopolitics in comparing China to Nazi Germany rather than Japan.

I think it's too late for Australia. I think we need to learn how to live as a people with a Chinese future.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 5:32:51 PM
Foxy time is coming they will have no choice
China while a good trading partner is getting aggressive and we stand to suffer
They use trade much like Trump, eg our coal stalled at the docks
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 6:14:09 PM
Hong Kong is a typical example of a Western society without discipline !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 13 August 2019 6:59:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy