The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Define the

Define the

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20
  13. All
Hi Steele,

Dead silence was the stern reply.

So am I on the right track ? An average of one degree rise every 160 years ? And an inch-rise in sea-level every ten years ?

If I am more or less right, then isn't this global warming, a.k.a. climate change, a.k.a. climate crisis - oops, I should write climate !CRISIS! - just a neo-capitalist scam ? Somewhere for the affluent but extremely socially-concerned Greens to park their money, with sure hopes of good returns ? Alongside the former oil-and-gas energy companies making their profits from subsidies ?

Another question from a fool: do wind towers and solar farms produce more CO2 in their construction (and maintenance, repairs, etc.) than they save in their lifetimes ?

No rush :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 10:26:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
do wind towers and solar farms produce more CO2 in their construction (and maintenance, repairs, etc.) than they save in their lifetimes ?
Loudmouth,
I have asked the same question over the years, never did get any answers. Just imagine the pollution from the manufacture of electric car batteries alone ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 11:28:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Loudmouth,

Forgive me mate but I'm just pretty tired of it all at the moment. We have had multitude of conversations over this and for you to suggest you are ever likely to change your mind is disingenuous in the extreme.

In our area the major river stopped flowing for three months this year. Three generation families on the river have never experienced it. Our koala populations are being decimated because they can no longer get their moisture requirements from the leaves they eat but now need standing water to survive. This has lead to investigations of the health of gum trees in a significant park and it has found gums are dying off in unprecedented rates many over 100 years old. It is projected within two decades the area will lose all its major trees and will be just scrubby woodland.

In the farming community down here there is deep concern about the impacts of climate change and many have voted against Liberal for the first time in their lives in this election.

I get there is a lot of people on this forum who live in areas where GW impacts aren't as evident yet, but just as Queenslanders don't want 'southerners' telling them what to think we certainly don't want northeners or anyone else telling us GW is a crock. It isn't. It is very real and it is impacting our environment and our farms and our water catchments.

But just a note, global temperatures have not increased .5 degrees in 80 years, it has been 2 ½ times that and continues to accelerate.
http://berkeleyearth.org/2018-temperatures/

Now you lot can piss all over the legitimate concerns of the better informed all you like, but what you are also doing is 'eating the futures' of our youngsters who have tried to make their voices heard. This election was all about selfishness and you lot are shining examples of just that.

Now just let me get over the disgust I feel at the moment for those who prosecuted inaction on climate change in this election.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 11:34:31 AM
SteeleRedux,
Climate change is on-going, no voting Left or Right can solve that. Climate change is global, not localised. This year we had the first reasonable wet season rains in 40 years so, with some luck there will be a return to some wetter seasons over the coming years.
I don't know where your area is but along the Murray it's definitely overuse of water rather than climate change.
During handing out how to vote pamphlets we had several windy moments that brought fairly heavy downpours. I watched how all that water simply washed off the parking area & into the drains & straight out to sea onto the GBR. Now, how many roads, carparks, airfields, driveways etc are there now all over the country ? Instead of the water being absorbed & filtered through the soil into the ground it just runs off in minutes. Is it any wonder we're running short of water ? We need reservoirs & dams & refill the groundwater. A Bradfield scheme would be a great long-term project but too many are still against it despite the obvious benefits environmentally & economically ! More moisture in the ground would probably result in more moisture everywhere & provide more rain all up. Fewer people washing their cars would help too I'd imagine !
I think wasting less water & building fewer run-off areas could keep atmospheric temperatures from rising !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 2:46:21 PM
once because people were smart enough to know the climate always changes and goes in cycles we built dams and cleared land. We are to 'smart' for that now!
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 3:07:52 PM
Sorry, Steele, I'm just going by the change from one record temperature in Adelaide (in 1939) to the latest earlier this year: 80 years, and half a degree rise, if that.

So how about sea-level rise ? Any more than an inch every decade ? Please tell me about the Nile Delta, or Bangla Desh.

Of course, Australia has always been a land of droughts and flooding rains. Christ knows what some GW adherent would have said back in the 1890s, or the 1910s, or the late 1930s, or the 1960s. As for floods, I wonder what such an adherent would have said in the late 1950s in NSW.

Some of your examples are rather irrelevant in relation to your arguments about the Greenhouse Effect. Sorry, Climate CRISIS!

Still not convinced :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 3:42:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20