The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Criminalisation of parenting

Criminalisation of parenting

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
The death of two young boys in Queensland from drowning, that has resulted in the mother being charged with manslaughter, has raised concerns from various groups, including the Queensland Law Society. Neglect of children is rarely an issue brought before courts, generally children are simply removed from the family and put into care.
But surely if the RSPCA can charge pet owners with cruelty and neglect, children should be afforded at least the same protection as animals.
Posted by Big Nana, Sunday, 7 April 2019 11:58:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree that there should be sanctions for neglectful parenting; but in the case of those little boys, is there anything more to it than kids just slipping away in a moment in which the parent was otherwise occupied? I have to say that I was shocked to see last night that the law had stepped in. The slack, vapid interviews with various people purportedly speaking for a 'community' were not at all helpful. The media's penchant for interviewing anyone breathing who happens to be in the vicinity is annoying, to say the least.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 7 April 2019 1:25:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Big nana we are not yet told everything, and not every time a woman finds herself in the wrong, is it wrong
We do know 12 hours passed before she reported them missing
Drugs are involved, and maybe the police know what they are doing
The me too movement was much needed, however some stretch the whole issue
Not every woman is a saint
Let the law take it course
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 7 April 2019 1:27:24 PM
Let the law take it course
Belly,
I generally agree with your statement but you should also tell us where we can find an unbiased Law. Where was the Law before these little boys died ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 7 April 2019 1:41:54 PM
I read of one aboriginal (Govt funded) organisation criticising Child protection for not removing the children. The same mob would probably have the audacity to scream 'stolen' generation. You can be sure that many Govt. funded organisations will use any incident to justify their funding and existence.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 7 April 2019 2:54:58 PM
This is a heartbreaking tragedy.

It should never have happened. These boys were 3 and 5
years of age and in a perfect world they should have
been adequately supervised and should not have been allowed
on their own to roam anywhere near a large body of water.

We don't know all the facts. However it does not look
good for the mother. Police uncovered a history of the
boys movements over months leading up to their deaths.
Police say that lack of supervision was systematic
behaviour from the mother of the boys.

Where were social services? The mother had a history of
dealing in drugs.

I guess now the law will take its course. Unfortunately
it's too late for the two youngsters.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 7 April 2019 3:13:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy