The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Time to fix the magistrates.

Time to fix the magistrates.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
Hasbeen,

Have you ever watched "Judge John Deed?"
Because if you haven't then you're not in
any position to pass judgement on the program.

As for writers? It is writers with their
concern for the human condition and their
special skills with language, can enable us
to imagine some horrific realities and nerve
us to try to solve some of societies' problems -
such as better legislation affecting both
our justice and our penal systems.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 22 November 2018 6:48:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Toni Lavis Quote "Bail is a ridiculous and offensive notion"

When it comes to making stupid comments without first thinking about all the implications you get first prize.

1st You don't seem to take into account the notion of innocent until proven guilty.

2nd The prisons and police watch houses would be full in one day if every shoplifter, petty thief etc was locked up till their appointed court date. Any crime where a penalty notice could not be issued.

So how about thinking about it for a while and come back with a more reasoned comment.

By the way you have still have not replied to your other blatantly wrong accusation you made before. here is the link so you can go back and admit you were wrong.
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=8524&page=0#270802
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 22 November 2018 7:25:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Toni here is your comment, the above link is my reply to it,

//allowing refugees holidays to Fiji, healthcare, free housing and jobs.//

I find that hard to believe. Nauru is an economic basket case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru#Economy

Unemployment at 90% and they're giving free housing and jobs to refugees? Pull the other one, President Waqa, it plays Jingle Bells.

Why does the Daily Mail bother printing this crap? And why do people accept it as gospel when it's obvious bollocks?
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 16 November 2018 4:23:59 PM
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 22 November 2018 8:35:05 PM
Yes I've seen enough of it to not be impressed with the story of a pretentious little man with ideas of grandeur, who thinks he knows everything.

The problem with authors is too many are like your judge, with greatly inflated ideas of their own worth.

The only fiction I can handle is science fiction, where the authors know they are dreaming, & make no claim of great insight into the human condition. Why anyone would take notice of people who live in fairy land, but take themselves seriously, I really can't imagine
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 22 November 2018 10:11:32 PM
Foxy I watch the show and feel it is a window in to how some justice is dished out
We are kittens playing with a ball of string, keeping us away from the very real truth some we think hand down justice make fortunes by doing the opposite
Posted by Belly, Friday, 23 November 2018 4:17:00 AM
Hasbeen,

I can't understand how you can interpret Judge John
Deed as being "a little man with delusions of
grandeur." He bucks the system all the time and
fights for the underdog trying to get at the truth -
and change legislation as is necessary.
And of course a lot of times the system does not let him succeed.
It's "edge of your seat" watching - and shows how corrupt
the system can be. And how difficult it is to try to make
changes.

Still this just goes to show how we can put our own
interpretations onto things - and why our opinions vary
and the best that can be done is for us to go according
to the law - even if justice may not always be done.
The law remains the law. However justices (and us) can
try to have unfair legislation changed. Honest justices
are to be commended not brushed aside.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 November 2018 9:48:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All