The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Some real figures, but not the full story.

Some real figures, but not the full story.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Just saw a study by the German ADAC, the equivalent of the US AAA.

They have produced CO2 emission figures for electric cars, compared to petrol, gas [LPG] & diesel.

They found that an electric medium sedan can produce less emissions of CO2, provided it reaches 585,000 kilometres, on the original battery pack. That is the breakeven point including all factors including manufacture & disposal/recycling.

A small electric car reaches its breakeven point at 150,000 kilometres. Surprisingly diesel cars had least total emissions, [except for particle emissions I presume] of all, to the normal useful life.

As I believe the saving of CO2 emissions is utterly useless & unnecessary I find this merely interesting. Unfortunately they did not give the total cost of ownership for the useful life of either, something I would find much more interesting. Nor did they give the likelihood of those distances being achieved in real life.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 21 September 2018 5:48:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen liked the story and as you know I will never agree controlling emissions is not worth while.
Wounder how the whale oil users felt about coal? or petroleum?
Shame us who conspire to tell lies about the climate have found a way to make the ice at both poles melt
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 23 September 2018 5:14:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In that case Belly, I wonder why the North West Passage did not open this year, & claimed a few ships that tried it?

Hell even NASA have admitted the planet has cooled over the last 4 years.

However that has nothing to do with the fact that electric cars are just another con job, & don't do what they are claimed to do. Another failure of green bulldust to be added to ethanol in petrol, wind & solar power generation. None save any CO2 if that is what they are supposed to be doing.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 23 September 2018 5:25:05 PM
The last info I saw had electric car batteries lasting 10 years, so half a million kilometres is not likely on one battery. However, everything we hear about CO2 and climate change is, as you say, a bloody lie, so their figures on anything don't mean much.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 23 September 2018 5:48:58 PM
Trains, Planes & Automobiles & now rockets as well. I remember when there was quite a stir about the Concorde damaging the ozone layer as apparently do rockets. Haven't heard any reports of the ozone layer being like a swiss cheese by now. Satellite after satellite, rockets left, right & centre. So, what's happening with the ozone layer ? Must be ok because some people make a lot of money out of satellites & most drivers these days prefer a satellite guided robot telling them where to turn because they haven't learnt to read the road signs. Nah, when it's convenient & profitable then any pollution is miraculously ok.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 23 September 2018 6:20:23 PM
Dear Hasbeen,

Hardly a new study mate. It was published over 6 months ago and pretty roundly condemned for some pretty shonky assumptions.

Here is a breakdown of the figures from Renew Economy. There are other reviews I can link to.
http://reneweconomy.com.au/german-car-owners-report-ev-emissions-garbage-95879/

But what I don't get is why this would be bothering you? You have been a trenchant disbeliever of the facts of global warming. Why does it matter to you if someone wants to go and buy and electric car? If the price continues to go down they will be far more economical, quiet, lack little in performance and pump out zero emissions if charged from renewable resources.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 23 September 2018 7:50:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy