The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why do women nag so much?

Why do women nag so much?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
This has always been a touchy subject to discuss, especially if one is stupid enough to dare bring it up in the presence of women, one is liable to get shot for such insupbordination, some men can't even sneeze and a comment is made.
We guys can't scratch where we want to scratch, we can't leave the bathroom without putting the toilet seat down, we can't drink from the milk carton, I mean REALLY!
Posted by SPANKY, Sunday, 22 July 2007 4:33:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
clearly your life is living hell, spanky.

if you can get along without the cooking, cleaning and sex, i urge you to live alone, and make two people happier.
Posted by DEMOS, Sunday, 22 July 2007 7:55:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
if my hubby were still here I would give him the remote back :)

and gladly pick up after him but I would probably still "nag".

It is just something that happens just like breathing. hahaha

thanks for your post Spanky it gave me a laugh.
Posted by CALLIE, Sunday, 22 July 2007 10:52:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spanky, is there even any evidence that women ‘nag’ more than men?

Perhaps, if a woman has a problem about something and talks about it, her partner just ‘calls’ it nagging.
Perhaps, when a man expresses a problem about something, his partner actually listens and empathises with him rather than labeling it as ‘nagging’.
Seriously, I think it’s stereotyping and generalising to say that women are nagging much.

Women nag when they address a problem, but when men do the same they give helpful, intelligent, welcome, and rational advice?
Posted by Celivia, Sunday, 22 July 2007 12:26:12 PM
I've never thought of it as nagging.

I mean; most women know they have to repeat themselves incessantly to get through the male brain processing system; which we all know is notoriously slow to process even the simplest things...............
Posted by Ginx, Sunday, 22 July 2007 2:31:11 PM
Think of it as abit like tourets Spanky. It doesn't matter what you do. It just ain't right.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 22 July 2007 3:09:45 PM
Hi Celivia,
There is plenty of evidence, take for eg the following:
Hello my love!..my! you look ravishing today, she answers: thanks, but my butt is too big!,if you love me you would tell me my butt is too big,(yeah.. right!)
No matter how nice or complimentary we are, we get it in the neck.
If we don't compliment, we are wrong, if we do compliment, then all hell breaks loose!
It's a known fact that we as gentlemen, are stuck as far as saying anything nice to our women folk (oops.. that sounded like a hillbillie)
We come home from work, do our duty of pecking the wife on the cheek and fall flat on our faces by daring to ask "how was your day"
If we do not ask how their day went, we end up in the dog box again!
We guys are not so stupid, we actually know when to pay a compliment, it's the damn timing issue! I mean...I know one guy who arrived home one day, gave the ritual peck on the cheek, asked how her day went and suddenly realised oh-oh,"the strawberry milk man had arrived" my oh my, hell hath just taken over his house".. How the heck are we supposed to know? I told him to just arrive home with a bunch of flowers every single day of his life and chuck-in a box of chocolates now and again, he's bound to hit the right buttons somewhere down the line!
Posted by SPANKY, Sunday, 22 July 2007 5:24:00 PM
Some links

http://family.jrank.org/pages/1194/Nagging-Complaining-Effects-Complaining-on-Familial-Relationships.html

http://www.physorg.com/news90605193.html

From http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2007/RAND_MG599.pdf "For example, coercion theory (Patterson and Hops, 1972) suggests that when one partner must nag and whine before the other partner agrees to a desired change in the relationship, that partner is reinforced for nagging and whining, and thus behaviors that neither partner likes or desires are likely to recur. "

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4885.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1212503,prtpage-1.cms

I didn't notice anything which asked the question "Nagging, do women nag more often than men?". I was struck by the similarity to studies on DV, most of the researchers seemed to start with the assumption that one gender does most of it and what the other does is hardly worth bothering with. I saw article after article that appeared to start with the premise that nagging is a womens thing but could not find any that checked that underlying assumption. Some appeared to see this form of relationship violence as justifiable - "he asked for it by not doing what I wanted when I wanted".

A regular theme seems to be that it is often counter productive but addictive.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 22 July 2007 9:02:05 PM
interesting_when a woman suggest's helpfully to a man it's nagging,
and yet the vice versa is considered to be 'in my best interest.
What's more NO further discussion regarding this 'advice' is to be entered into_supposedly it is, was, or HAS to be taken up (the advice) without any thoughts or feedback?
Posted by mariah, Sunday, 22 July 2007 11:30:26 PM
When somebody can explain why is it that when a man is looking for something, whether in the fridge or cupboard he cannot move objects out of the way to find this particular item, he has to call his partner who will find it immediately, just by moving a few things, then I can give reasons as to why woman seem to, what a man will call 'nag', so much.
Spanky, you have started a touchy, but interesting thread!

Go Girl Power!

Bubble
Posted by Bubble, Sunday, 22 July 2007 11:35:36 PM
Ok, this is getting scary!
When women start to agree, there is something amiss,
When we get a compliment, there's danger lurking ahead!
Us guys have to go through life dodging bullets and sometimes lie a little, to move out of a corner we just painted accidently painted ourselves into.
Posted by SPANKY, Monday, 23 July 2007 2:59:49 AM
well if you started painting where we suggested, you wouldn't be in a corner. :)
Posted by CALLIE, Monday, 23 July 2007 6:12:28 AM
BUBBLE.. dear.. honey.. why are you talking about me (your husband) on line huh ? :).... no wait.. she is at work,.. you must just be another girl with a hubby like MEEEEE :)

I have this fundamental belief "things used often, should not be hidden" :) and.. "There is a place for everything"... when it gets HIDDEN in some dark remote place and I can't find it ..I get an earful of "LEARN HOW TO MOVVVEEEEE THINGS".. and "You're a hopeless finder"...and.. :) grrrrr so it goes on.

SPANKY.. have you done your reading ? :) (Nag nag)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 23 July 2007 8:58:17 AM
Oh dear! I think the problem is that men do not listen!! LOL that has been my experience therefore we nag.
Posted by Glendabeth, Monday, 23 July 2007 9:28:46 AM
There's only one reason why anyone, male or female, would nag. Think about it.

Lorette
Posted by Lorette, Monday, 23 July 2007 11:58:36 AM
Lol, Spanky, I personally don’t know anyone who’d fit this type of nagging women.
The fact that your wife nags still doesn’t prove that women generally nag more than men do; perhaps the question should be why PEOPLE nag.
One answer could possibly be, as has been mentioned, that people nag because their concern or complaint isn’t been listened to or given attention. Perhaps good listeners have partners that don’t nag as much.

If your wife suffers badly from PMS so that it is hard to live with mood swings, she could see a GP because there is medication available, like pre-menstrual anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. I’m glad I don’t suffer from this mental torture and am always such an angel.

I like the Familial Relationship link, RObert, it’s interesting to know that the problem affecting the quality of the relationship is not how frequently or how much partners nag at each other, but how they manage and respond to the complaints.
Voila, Spanky, (*chuckles*…oops… for a not very angelic reason), perhaps the problem is not that your wife nags too much but how you deal with it.

I agree with what is said in that RAND article as well: if one partner is making a request and does not feel her/his partner pays attention, they’ll keep coming back to it until the matter is given attention. It seems very counter effective to communicate this way. I have known a couple who were married for about 40 years and they couldn’t talk to each other without criticising the other! Seems it had become a habit, it’s indeed like they have trained each other to be this way. That’s sad- what else is there to do than to care for each other’s feelings?
Posted by Celivia, Monday, 23 July 2007 12:09:15 PM
"if you can get along without the cooking, cleaning and sex, i urge you to live alone,"

Or you could just look out for a cleaner who wears cute, sexy
little dresses :)
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 23 July 2007 5:07:23 PM
Nagging has become more widespread since females were indoctrinated into thinking they are 'spiritually superior'. Even the advertising industry is getting into the act. Women I don't even know seem to think they have some god-given right to tell me what to do. Ever increasingly, women are painting themselves into a corner out of earshot. I don't have a shed but i have learnt to completely switch off while appearing conscious. The other day i went out and washed the car and when i came back in she hadn't missed a beat. Such a waste of energy.
Posted by citizen, Monday, 23 July 2007 5:56:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have always wondered, but not as much as John Howard has!
Posted by Belly, Monday, 23 July 2007 7:30:53 PM
This is an issue where degree's seem to be significant. When does nagging cross over from a being a legitimate request for a partner to meet their obligations within the relationship and become controlling behaviour?

From the Australia says no website http://www.australiasaysno.gov.au/booklet/viewBooklet/02_noRespect.htm

"While every person's experience of an abusive relationship will be different, there are some common patterns of controlling behaviour and abuse, which are often evident before the relationship becomes physically violent:

Possessiveness
- checking on their partner all the time to see where they are, what they're doing and who they're with
- trying to restrict where they can go and who they can see
Jealousy
- accusing their partner of being unfaithful or flirting without good reason
- isolating their partner from family and friends, often by rude and objectionable behaviour
Put downs
- humiliating their partner, either publicly or privately by attacking their intelligence, their looks or capabilities
- constantly comparing their partner unfavourably with others
- blaming the partner for all the problems in the relationship
Menace & Threats
- yelling, sulking and deliberately damaging things that are of importance to their partner
- threatening to use violence against their partner, the partner's family, friends or even a pet "

For those who think nagging is justified because the other party does not act or respond as you think they should - you may be the abuser in your relationship.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 23 July 2007 7:55:52 PM
its hard to be honest in a modern world_thats not too different from the ancient_
i think for myself the nagging starts when i care no longer if the other cant handle the truth_like ive lost that extra care and effort in working that extra bit to smooth all the problems
probly im not getting what i need out of the relationship
and have worked out its not worth working on
we are still encouraged to hide our thoughts and feelings, dampen our spontaneity, in case it is improper_so it all dulls down. it kinda seems as if we will all uncover some great truth or unravel some mystery if we are too honest
im talking reasonable humane responses to each others needs and wants here, with love and or care
Posted by mariah, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 1:48:14 AM
Hi RObert,
I have one word for the types of people you refer to...NUTS!

Controlling in a relationship never works but should a woman wish to remain in such a relationship and where abuse both mentally and physically is top of the agenda, then she must suffer baby, suffer.
Posted by SPANKY, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 3:20:25 AM
it dosent happen overnight_the abuse and violence
generally its a conglomeration of steps stages containing all that RObert posted
by the time you want to get out the victim is pretty stuffed up
kind of almost crazed
its like _well _similar to a tortured war victim_its like a long road to recovery
i know
not being nasty
but as you think its all that easy and clever to post such smart remarks about abuse victims (them being male, female, young, old etc, etc ) i can see you know nothing about the situation
and might have to experience being the victim at some stage to correct your smart ass attitude
you sound like you could easily fit into the 'abuser' mould
we all know that abuse has no boundaries or limitations like class or religion etc etc
neither does being a smart ass
Posted by mariah, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 8:30:29 AM
Being nagged is the absolute pits! Been under that sort suppression. Never again.

No nagging for me. Single now for 18 years….and lovin’ it!

"if you can get along without the cooking, cleaning and sex, i urge you to live alone,"

No no Yabby. You do your own cooking and cleaning, to the extent that you want to, not that someone else wants you to.

As for sex, who needs it?! And if you do, well you don’t need a relationship to get it (:>0 !!

Relationships have got knobs all over ‘em. Hermitage (as in being a hermit) and antisocial behaviour (as in not being sociable) is definitely the way to live (:>)
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 12:42:37 PM
Scientific evidence suggests that women are better at multi tasking than men. It may be
that men only concentrate on one thing at time; thus if they are doing something, they
just don't "hear", or take it in.

I've learnt to be fairly easy going, so don't bother to nag. I found that nagging was more exhausting and time wasting than just doing it oneself.

When I was first married, my husband would drop his clothes all over the floor. After a few months of cleaning up after him I found the solution was to let them pile up for a couple of weeks, then throw them out the window. No recriminations ... If a repair to the house needs to be done - and it hasn't shown any progress over months, I just take a large tool and start attacking it myself ... as I have no skills in such matters ...

However, and I wonder if other women experience it, whenever I ask where
something is, he demands to know why I want it ... even if it is something trivial - in fact, especially if it is something trivial. Also, if I am doing something, like opening a food
packet, he tells me how it should be done. When I object, he always says that he is "just trying to help".

When things gets too much, I just remind him that I grow aconite at the bottom of the garden.
Posted by Danielle, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 1:26:42 PM
Ludwig, that line was actually a quote from Demos, that I had
snipped.

Personally I don't think this is a black and white issue,
it just depends. Yup there is stereotyping involved, a bit
like saying men are taller then women. In general that is true,
there are always exceptions.

There can be great relationships, but if you look around, they
are rare. About half of marriages end in divorce. Of the half
left, maybe half work ok, half stay together out of habit, kids,
money or whatever. So the odds at best would be one in four, not
exactly exciting. I know plenty of men whose marriages somehow
stay together, as they allow themselves to be henpecked.
That's not my scene lol, better just be friends with benefits :)

Last I read, women talk 3 times more then men. To expect our
undivided attention to every word they think out aloud, would
be pushing the boundaries.

I think there are some women who just need something to complain
about, to be happy.

I think we need to understand that in many ways, men and women
are just different (there are exeptions I know). Men are into
things and what they think. Women are into people, relationships
and how they feel. As one female told me, women don't want solutions,
they want commiseration. Men don't understand that, they want to
provide solutions.

Given that Spanky has no understanding for cases of misogyny, all
I can say Spanky is, so suffer the nagging, its your choice :)
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 3:07:05 PM
Goodness me, after reading a couple of comments that have been made, all I can say is 'Shame Spanky' you must be living a life of hell with all that nagging going on. Maybe you should think of getting your wife to join this forum, and then we could all hear it from her side. As it has already been said, maybe it's not the nagging thats the problem, but you are not listning to whats being said!
I've just thought up a reason why she nags, while she has to do the housework you are sitting on this Forum.

- Bubble -
Posted by Bubble, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 10:35:09 PM
or spanky
set an example
its really a good way
the role model thingy
but really
i reckon you just want OUT
time to find yourself as one put it to me lately
or
time to suffer so you might realize what you once had
just get busy is my best advice
get on with your own journey/stuff/problems
i mean your OWN failings
you can only really sort your own you know
we all have to find our own way
together as we are
we are still all seperate
seperate as we may be (hermiting) we are still all somewhere
Posted by mariah, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 1:16:13 AM
Guys!..help me out here!
Mariah, I do not know what you wrote, was this a poem?
Like I said in the beginning, a lot will be mentioned "tongue in cheek" and now I will proceed in removing my left foot out of my mouth!
No, I cannot refer to a nag as being "people" because it's the women who cause people to nag!nag!nag!
I mean.. look at this thread, full of nags, victims of your own doing!

Bubble, if you had a partner as kind and considerate as mine, together with the nagging, I must admit, I wouldn't give her up for the world.
This is where we guys are failing, we moan about the nagging but on the other hand we can't do without it. (There, have I saved myself from eternal damnation?)
As long as the buck stops at nagging and not turn into some hellish nightmare, like some people I know, who ended up in a divorce court,
for nag abuse!
Posted by SPANKY, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 3:01:01 AM
Danielle,
Errr..'scuse me, I'm smelling something in the air... oh! I know what it is..It's b...sh..t!!
There is no scientific evidence that women are better at multi-tasking than men, no-way, cannot and will never be.
This is why we are called "bread-winners", we get home from a hell of a hectic day on the golf course, suffer from bruised elbows from holding up a pint on the bar, eye-strain from watching the clock on the wall, so we don't get home too late and belly ache from trying to chug-down one more before coming home.
We are hellish underprivealidged here, we are professional at work, organise staff, blame our stuff-ups on others and retire to the gents vestibule to rid ourselves from stress,..all in a days work!
We care for our women in ways some women would'nt even dream of, while you lot are sweating in front of a stove, we sit and contemplate
whats in store for the next day and how we are going to tackle it.
I mean..come on!
Posted by SPANKY, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 3:20:55 AM
any way
call it nagging_
i call it sharing
(sharing my deepest inner thought on the notion of the time)
mabye you(both) share too much
and just need a bit of space
everyone needs it
time out
or get out and take a walk-get a bit of fresh air
its easy to forget there are other ways
im back to walking as of late and its just fab
there are other ways to relive oneself than in/on around the toilet
Hmm
-females have to go there also (did you know that?
take care now
Posted by mariah, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 9:58:30 AM
Yep!..it was a poem (or something)
now it's nagging in poetry form, isn't life poetic?
Posted by SPANKY, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 3:15:08 PM
spanky / i suppose it could be nagging
it could be lots of things
depends how u look at it
its like art i spose
how your mind reads it would be different to mine
Duh
every one gets something a little different
seems you are in a bit of a bad way
ive got my own problems and pains
i was actually trying to be generous with ides that work for me
dont you get sick of 'toilet' relief after awhile?
the good thing about not being TIED down in a relationship is that at least we feel we are entitlled to our flings(that is interaction of two bodies...)
no its not poetry
just heavily TEXT (sms) influenced type
you know we are limited to our communication here
P.S
i meant it when i said go walking, it is fantastic-around the block
to town
whatever
anything
you never know what you might find
and it at least clears the head of anger
gets your own endorphin's going,
we are made to move, it sounded like you were stuck in an office or something
ciao
P.P.s
do you like spanking or something
mabye you deserve a spank
ha
Posted by mariah, Wednesday, 25 July 2007 7:51:37 PM
Maybe it is dissatisfaction with sex... ( ;

Saudi Arabian women claim their men are best. Australian women claim their men are the worst. Anthony Robbins seems to call what many consider sexism as polarity and says it creates the spark. I'm not sure about the Australian stereotype but Muslim countries sure have a clear stereotype about such matters.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=282952

"The most satisfied were Saudi Arabian women, ..."

For the record I don't take the survey seriously.
Posted by mjpb, Thursday, 2 August 2007 11:46:49 AM
probably just brainwashing mjpb
not being rude but it appears there is a hell of a lot of it going on still
brainwashing that is ( by circulating nonsense statistics )

and not only in Arab countries
its not by any means free from false information this country /media Government /
Keep your wits about you
ciao
Posted by mariah, Thursday, 2 August 2007 11:56:46 PM
Yes all you gullible people, spring forth and enjoy this seemingless repertoir!
Women have this aire of "I'M BETTER, YOU CANNOT DO WITHOUT ME SO GET OVER IT" attitude, whilst most guys just want to get on with the thing of being "hubby". We are simplistic and easy to please, we don't ask for much and we always jump up to offer our advice and assistance in whatever you women have gotten yourselves into and in return, we ask for....nothing!
Posted by SPANKY, Friday, 3 August 2007 3:05:15 AM
spanky, you sound too good to be true, wanting nothing. In my view everybody wants something from their relationship, that is, nobody wants NOTHING. Otherwise we wouldnt bother having them. I see with many relationships/ marriges these days its still the company / 'rock' thing that people want and think they are going to get... a support person that one can share anything with. Though in my experience this dampens with time and i find the open sharing becomes closed as we (the couple) feel too familier with each other and it all becomes one big routine. ( And the sharing turns to advice, ha, in the name of helping wich if it was real help it ought be called 'suggesting'.)
What did you origionaly see in your relationship that made you want to marry? Or were you young and naive at the time. Did your wife have lots of good ideas and now you see them as nagging?
Its a bit souped up this marrige thing as living with anyone can be a trial because having another person around means you then need to take them into consideration. I dont think that i could try at living with a partner again im too selfish. When do you think it came to this point that the 'nagging' set in? Can you pin point it?
Was it because you both cant see another way to work the problems through?
Or is it because neither of you want to any more. Im sure you both worked through the problems once.
Posted by mariah, Friday, 3 August 2007 6:17:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy