The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gender Discussion:

Gender Discussion:

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All
We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Noone cares what old straight men have to say anymore. Get used to it.
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 6 August 2018 3:11:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good Afternoon O Sung Wu,

I've listed a link below that you might find interesting.
It explains that "as English speaking Western cultures
and societies have evolved over the past few decades, the
use of gender-specific language has (and is becoming) a thing
of the past. Although the extent of this may still vary from
country to country, it's now becoming more common and
acceptable to use gender-neutral terms when writing and pseaking
in English."

Many of us are probably not even aware that we're doing it.
For example, instead of saying "airline stewardess" the term
"flight attendant," is often used. Instead of "actress," we
use the term - "actor," instead of "headmaster," the term -
"Principal" is popular. Then instead of "Boss," "Supervisor,"
is preferred, instead of "Forefathers," - "Ancestors,"
and so it goes.

I don't find this to be a problem - and I'm sure that whatever
term you decide to use - few people would correct you as long as
they understand what you're trying to say - and you're not being
rude or insulting, I think that's all that matters.

Here's the link:

http://www.writinghelp-central.com/gender-neutral.html
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 6 August 2018 3:35:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there BUGSY...

You're right no one is interested in what the old straight men have to say any more, because what they say is meaningless and unimportant. Worse still coming as it would from the aged, proves it's patently uninteresting, and that in itself is the problem. Because nobody has the slightest interest whatsoever, in what older folks have to say these days, because generally it's just plain boring. Thanks BUGSY for your contribution.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 6 August 2018 3:47:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, I still say 'batsman', when I am talking about a male with a cricket bat in his hand. Apparently the word 'Batter' is now in use by most commentators.

Batter is what you have on your fish.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 6 August 2018 3:48:09 PM
Are there any females who play cricket?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 6 August 2018 4:04:07 PM
Hi there FOXY...

It's all too much for me I'm afraid. I don't think referring to things the old way is wrong, rude nor insulting. I think by being gender neutral de-personalises things and people, and removes all the warmth out of our normal human language and the usual interaction we have with each other. Thank you very much for that Link you've so kindly provided me with too FOXY, I'll be sure to give it a good read.

Hello HOUELLEBECQ...

My friend I couldn't agree with you more. I can't speak the French, but don't the have masculine and feminine gender for just about everything within their language?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 6 August 2018 4:05:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. 24
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy