The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Independents and Small Parties In The Senate

Independents and Small Parties In The Senate

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
"Australia is not a democracy. We haven’t even the right not to vote. And the preferential system means that no matter who you vote for it will end up in the box of one of the two major parties

Only if that's what the people want, which is of course the basis of democracy. There are plenty of occasions where this doesn't happen.

"so you are voting for them whether you want to or not. As for independents

No you are not. You are given a choice between them despite the fact that you vote for a minor party or idnependent.

"And the senate? It’s supposed to act as a check on the House of Reps. But how can it do that if some Senators are holding ministerial office in the current government?

The Australian people rarely give one party power over both houses.

"The only remotely democratic system is proportional representation.

It is no more or less democratic than other systems. It's just a different mechanism of representation.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html

"Australian governments of every ilk have become increasingly dictatorial and fascist, overriding the courts, changing laws to suit

They can only do that to the extent that the people grant them the power.

~

"Independents in local Electorates only have a chance it they are high profile persons and well known for their community service.

Should it be any other way?
Posted by freediver, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 1:03:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
James perhaps we should start a new thread to discuss taxation vs subsidies.

"I'm not sure if I share your enthusiasm for taxes versus licenses.

Would you mind elaborating?

"I would also point out that while you advocate a carbon tax, its a little light on detail about the development of alternative technologies and energy production methods.

That's because that is a different issue.

"Sometimes you get better results with a carrot than you do with a stick (which a tax is, no matter which way you look at it).

It's only better if you ignore the cost of the carrot, which unfortunately most voters tend to do.

"Personally I would advocate an increase in subsidies to programmes that encourage people to harvest their own resources in responsible ways

What if you could achieve more with less economic impact using taxes? You get the same end result (less water consumed, less emissions), but less damage to the economy.
Posted by freediver, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 1:05:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For an intelligent electorate and better politicians I think that the Australian Constitution and Political Science should be mandatory subjects for school. When an Independent
pushes for this, they will certainly get my vote.
Posted by Danielle, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 1:42:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pauline Hanson made over $200k from the last election from all the votes she got in the Senate. Meanwhile the Democrats got less than $20k for all their votes - Australia wide! And the media still question why Hanson runs, but they never bring up this issue and ask her why she just takes the money when she has no chance of winning. She would be mad not to run. I think anyone (besides Pauline) who would seriously devote a year to running as an independent in a state like QLD or NSW for the senate either has too much time on their hands or needs a reality check. Your chances are very very slim. Go and join the major parties. Looking at the star studded cabinet in QLD any old person can get a job if they just try.
Posted by Joe2008, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 2:45:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Joe2008,

Sorry I can't accept that a person's only way to political influence is by the major parties.

Just because the chances are slim (and I'm under no illusion as to how slim), doesn't mean that a person can't try. I'm running because none of the major/minor parties represent me or my viewpoint. So if I want my viewpoint to be heard then I have to work for it. One way is to run as an independent.
Posted by James Purser, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 2:54:09 PM
Danielle,

At the risk of appearing to be spruiking for votes, I'm with you on that one. In general I would like to see critical thinking taught in schools, so that while kids are learning facts, they are taught how to evaluate those facts and seek out new sources of information.
Posted by James Purser, Tuesday, 24 July 2007 3:06:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy