The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Can America be saved?

Can America be saved?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
So Foxy & Belly, the US should accept an EU tariff of 20% against their goods, but continue to give free access to EU goods into the US.

If anyone should worry about retaliation perhaps it should be the EU. This might be just the first US retaliation against EU tariffs.

I wonder where you found that rubbish Foxy. The US auto industry is well served by paying a little more for tinplate, when EU cars will be a little more costly. With the full employment at higher wages, the US public are well served also. Anything that makes Merkel frown is good for the US, the UK & most of the rest of the world. It is probably good for most Germans too.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 7:43:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hassie,

You're becoming an embarrassment.

There were so many links from CNN on the web all stating
the same thing - that Republicans were against Trump's
tariffs.

Here's just one:

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/31/politics/republicans-gop-react-tariffs-trade-trump-aluminium-steel-imports/index.html
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 8:16:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hassie,

I misspelt aluminum - here's the link again:

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/31/politics/republicans-gop-react-tariffs-trade-trump-aluminum-steel-imports/index.html
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 8:27:48 PM
Dear Hasbeen,

I'm a little confused.

Are you for or against tariffs? And if you are for them to protect industries then how do you differentiate them from subsidies?

I was happy to see the US out of the TPP as their demands were quite prejudicial to Australia's best interest and our pollies still wanted to sign on the dotted line. Trump did us a real favour. The newer version did address some of the iniquities but I was still not a fan.

I also think tariffs have a role to play in protecting Australian jobs. It seems you might be on board now which is great. I'm not sure it assists in our overall prosperity but it certainly helps create a fairer system.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 13 June 2018 9:44:00 PM
Foxy, CNN, For gods sake. Stop quoting these extreme lefty ratbag outfits, if you want to be serious.

Something we can actually agree on Steely. I did have some problem with import duties when they protected Victoria & NSW industry, but did nothing for other states. Fix that imbalance & I'm all for import duties/tariffs.

They are a progressive tax, costing those with more to spend on expensive imports a lot, but those with little to spend on imports very little. In this way sales taxes were better than the GST, just less productive for government. In the same way I am all for taxes on grog & tobacco & similar things. You can make a conscious choice whether you pay those taxes or not.

Not only did import duties/tariffs make it easier for Oz business to compete, they provided considerable income for government, making high income tax less necessary. Fix that inequality in the way they effect people of different states differently, & I'm all for them.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 14 June 2018 12:26:19 AM
China will be pleased, the via their puppet have shown they have some strings on Putin's puppet too America has lost the war on reason and still chuckling at the pro Trump comments here, you can indeed fool some of the people all of the time
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 14 June 2018 7:01:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All