The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A wage rise for the sake of it, but at what cost

A wage rise for the sake of it, but at what cost

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Indi, if we were given a guarantee that your pension was a reflection on your tax contribution, I would suggest more would happily pay more tax, but how can you trust any government.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 9 June 2018 7:46:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tomorrows pensioners are today's people putting views about some thing they will not truly understand till it is them they talk of, I am confronted every time by the view, in a country that wants to give business tax cuts, that lets multi nationals pay no tax, yes one worker pays more than them, we see those who want to tell us welfare is the problem.that over looks Government ministers with huge expense bills spending our cash, but wants those without a job to carry this card, give them a job, problem solved
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 9 June 2018 7:50:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rehctub & Belly,
It'd be interesting to see how much the waste of taxpayer money is in comparison to what the old age pension costs.
The below $100,000/annum blue collar brigade pays more tax than anyone could poke a stick at.
Then there's tax on everything so, if the Government can see it fit to pay some un-needed irrelevant experts, consultants, bureaucrats hundreds of thousands a year then there is simply no argument that the old age pension should pose any problem to the coffers.
My view is that a Flat Tax could be introduced first for wage & salary earners followed by a gradual downgrading of negative gearing so business can adapt.
The salaries of Government Ministers & so-called top-bureaucrats should be settled via referendum at Govt. election.
After all, aren't they the "Public Servants" ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 9 June 2018 11:04:53 AM
Belly, perhaps you can do some math on corporate tax.

First calculate the taxes generated by these companies, taking into account GST, income tax by employees, company tax paid by consultants and alike, land tax on occupied land, tax on tolls if applicable, im sure ive missed some, then deduct what you deem as 'tax owing', remembering to allow for tax right offs and government incentives, then see where we are at.

My bet is they contribute 10 to 1 in what they generate to what you think the should be paying. If so, best to leave sleeping dogs lie I would suspect, but by all means do the math so we can at least put this issue to bed.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 11 June 2018 1:28:50 PM
rechtub,
So, what's your opinion on a flat tax ? I'm of course thinking in the long term, not just the present financial year.
Posted by individual, Monday, 11 June 2018 5:57:31 PM
Indi, I have thought a financial transaction tax should at least be costed.

Our current tax systems are both inefficient and inadequate to provide our revenue needs for the future. We simply can not keep spending what we are while our tax revenues are dwindling.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 11 June 2018 9:10:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy