The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A wage rise for the sake of it, but at what cost

A wage rise for the sake of it, but at what cost

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Come to think of it, who or what is the actual cause that creates poor people in a first world Nation ? One would have thought with so many bureaucracies no-one would even have a chance to be poor ? So, how come we have poor people in this country with so much wealth to toil?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 3 June 2018 6:43:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Individual,

Millions of adults, and children live in poverty.
For these impoverished people, life may be
marked by illiteracy, ignorance,
insecurity,homelessness, disease, and early death,
the stunting of human lives and potential.

Who are the poor?

Female-headed homes. Poverty is becoming "feminized."
Families that live in poverty often only have a
female householder with no adult male present.
Women generally earn less than men and an increase in
unmarried or divorced mothers, who frequently lack
the job skills - may have to stay at home to look after
the children.

Children - under the age of eighteen also live in
poverty. - More than half of all poor children live in
female-headed households.

Minorities - include low incomes and high unemployment
rates. Subtle discrimination in hiring and promotion
practices affects many minority groups.

The poor actually form a highly diverse group. Many poor
people work full-time at unskilled jobs that will
never pay much - domestic cleaners, sweatshop labourers,
parking-lot attendants, and so on. Many live in areas of
chronic unemployment, such as depressed rural regions
or decaying urban neighbourhoods where industries are
in decline.

I won't go into further detail. You get the picture.
Many people complain about the poor. That they are in
poverty because they prefer to live on "handouts."
That is not true. These people don't know any poor
people.

But there are few complaints about the governments
"handouts" to the non-poor who receive benefits such
as hidden subsidies or tax deductions. This fact
generally escapes attention because these benefits take
the indirect form rather than the direct form of
cash payments.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 3 June 2018 7:31:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, as you know I have been a butcher for 41 years now, and only did an alternative job for a few years.
For butchers to survive now we have to be either very good, or very bad (the cheap and nasty type) famous for pumping their meats with water and selling low grade 'cow meat' as yearling. My shop sells the best of everything and while its tough, it is working. slowly.

The fact of the matter is that the supermarkets have the middle meat tied up, and their sausages are usually made with soy bean powder as a substitute for some of the meat content. This is why the often swell when cooked, because the SB is soaking up the fat as it melts.

So Doog, yes, some do need to close the doors and accept that the industry is going through a major change.

As for the family on single income, the likes of rent assistance and family assistance usually softens the gap. Either way, the short fall is not the responsibility of the employer and I can assure you this will cost jobs. Always does, always will as the saying goes, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 3 June 2018 8:19:38 PM
//you will be aware of just how tough many small retail businesses are doing it right now.// According to Butch.

The average salary for a Small Business Owner / Operator is AU$66,946 per year. According to 'Payscale' Australia.

Until recently there were three cafe's within a short walk of my place. Outwardly there was little to distinguish one from the other two, appearance, location, etc. However, two offered good quality meals, with friendly staff, fast service and reasonable prices. The third offered poor quality fair, from an unfriendly owner and staff, and was over priced. One of the three went broke and closed down recently, no prize for guessing which one.

p/s The number of average customers per cafe would easily sustain three such businesses. Two do a roaring trade, lunchtime, weekends etc, the other bloke, was once was okay, but trade slipped badly over time.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 3 June 2018 9:10:14 PM
Dear rehctub,

I wish you every possible success in your business.

From memory, you've always been fair to your staff.
You've even made training positions for young people
in the past. Apprenticeships are hard to come by for
most.

Your integrity and honesty speaks for itself. You
deserve to do well.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 3 June 2018 11:06:27 PM
What type of world do we want? no think about it,rectub thinks the wage rise unfairly impacts on small business, our government while admitting some huge company's pay zero tax, that is less than one low income earner! should get tax cuts! now rectub my $85.000 a year days are behind me, my income went on house purchase and unexpected repairs,had I been working my extra may have re introduced beef to my table, once, to lift the economy, pork barreling took place, so people could spend,if our system needs to create not just wealth but poverty, we need a better system
Posted by Belly, Monday, 4 June 2018 6:36:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy