The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Good governments make our economy work for us

Good governments make our economy work for us

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
In Australia, everyone should be able to put food on their table and be home in time to enjoy it with their friends and family.

However, today our economy is not delivering for many Australians. Some corporations are using their money and power to take too much for themselves.

If we had good governments that changed the rules and stood up against powerful corporations, we could all enjoy a better life. We could build better hospitals, schools and public transport, and take better care of our environment.

It’s so important that good governments keep powerful corporations in check and make our economy work for all of us.
Posted by GJOESQ, Tuesday, 24 April 2018 3:39:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It certainly could be said that power companies are ripping us off and the mania for renewable energy is certainly inflating power prices. Recently you were extolling the virtues of costly wind and solar power, which is certainly causing hardship for low-income people.

What rules do you think governments should change, given that governments are not in business, and given that there are watch dogs policing business activities on behalf of consumers. Which corporations, other than electricity providers, do you see as making it hard for people to put food on the table? And how do you suggest governments can keep these corporations “in check”? Presumably you have some ideas that you think are possible.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 24 April 2018 9:36:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn, 'tis great to read your interest in this topic. I look forward to your constructive contribution to the discussion. :-)

I would posit that, when corporations are taking in record profits, but there hasn’t been a real increase in income support for a generation, and more and more people can’t make ends meet, our society is out of balance.

One thing that good governments can do is to make sure that corporations pay more tax in order to deliver the things everyday people care about most such as hospitals, schools, train lines, teachers, the education children get, the care
patients receive etc.

In other words, we need good governments that keep powerful corporations in check, and deliver the things everyday people care about most.
Posted by GJOESQ, Tuesday, 24 April 2018 9:54:59 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GJOESQ,

You can't just keep on taxing business or you will find that there are no businesses to tax: they will have moved off-shore and jobs will have disappeared. The current government still wants to reduce corporate taxation. It has been blocked for the time, but there will certainly be no increase in tax.

These 'poor’ people need to be taught budgeting skills. Most people now don't have a personal budget; they live from hand to mouth, pay to pay, and have no savings. You cannot help people who are not prepared to help themselves and, unfortunately, more and more people expect others to look after them. No matter how much you take from the rich, it will never be enough for the 'poor’.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 24 April 2018 10:40:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"given that there are watch dogs policing business activities on behalf of consumers." Yep! ASIC has been doing a fantastic job keeping the banks under control. According to the political conservatives like ttbn, there is no need for a Banking Royal Commission.

"You can't just keep on taxing business" Big tax cuts for big businesses, like banks, right ttbn. Bugger the Battlers, they've got money in the bank. Well they did once until the Conservatives let the banks steal it from them
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 25 April 2018 4:03:11 PM
Paul,

Do you suffer from A.D.D? I recently admitted that opposition to a banking RC was wrong, and you acknowledged that I had. But, here you are, chewing the same bone again: “According to the political conservatives like ttbn, there is no need for a Banking Royal Commission.”

And, I have said more than once that I do NOT approve of Turnbull's tax cuts for big business. But you have decided I didn't really mean it because I'm a conservative and only Greens really care about people.

Ideology has got the better of you. You are really not worth bothering with.

I'm going away for a few days. Out of range of your BS, I'm pleased to say.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 25 April 2018 5:18:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy