The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Good governments make our economy work for us

Good governments make our economy work for us

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
thinkabit,
You say that as though being a tax haven isn't a bad thing. But tax havens aren't rich because they're where the high value economic activity occurs; they're rich because corporations have chartered accountants to shift money around to make it look as if the high value economic activity occurred there, even though it actually occurred somewhere else.

I think it's your attitude, rather than GJOESQ's, that highlights why Australians aren't doing so well. When people complain about how tough life is for them, you mistake it for envy. And you fail to understand that low taxes are just one of many things that are good for business – and in terms of benefit:cost ratio, cutting taxes ranks very low.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 3 May 2018 9:42:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do share Aidan's point about tax haven's being an ethical issue. Clearly, not every country can be a tax haven. This would cause a glut of tax havens and reduce the viability of most of them, thus causing severe economical stress with those surplus tax havens. It is understandable that Liechtenstein loves being a tax haven because it is a niche market they can serve.

I quote from Wikipedia, "The country's low tax rate, loose incorporation and corporate governance rules, and traditions of strict bank secrecy have contributed significantly to the ability of financial intermediaries in Liechtenstein to attract funds from outside the country's borders. The same factors made the country attractive and vulnerable to money launderers, although late 2009 legislation has strengthened regulatory oversight of illicit funds transfers."

I don't believe that we can equate what has worked for Liechtenstein to what may work for Australia. However, one can say that, leaving the ethics aside, the Liechtenstein government has made its economy work for them! QED :-)
Posted by GJOESQ, Friday, 4 May 2018 2:02:44 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Everyone knows that but nothing can be perfectly good, it must have something to balance. Nothing too much is good.
Posted by sergoaguero, Saturday, 5 May 2018 1:45:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy