The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Arpartheit for Hospitals

Arpartheit for Hospitals

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Is that you plagiarising government propaganda, Foxy?
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 7 April 2018 6:41:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear ttbn,

It's called doing research on the topic.

I highly recommend it.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 April 2018 7:25:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, that reads like it was cut and pasted from some indigenous government site.
You didn’t address my question, which was why some aboriginal people are now doing worse than their grandparents and great grandparents.
You can’t bring up the old arguments about disadvantage, discrimination etc because the past two generations haven’t suffered that. Their ancestors did, yet somehow some were more literate and more employed than today’s generation.
You also failed to address the glaring fact that the very worst health and educational outcomes are from people who are living on their own land, speaking their own language and free to practise their own culture whenever they wish. They have health clinics staffed by Aboriginal Health Workers and live in communities where the population is 99% aboriginal at least and the whole place is managed by an elected aboriginal council.
They have the perfect environment for cultural safety yet look at the outcomes.
Posted by Big Nana, Saturday, 7 April 2018 7:25:54 PM
Hi Foxy,

It's polite to use quotation marks when copying 'research'. Some people get upset when people pinch their work, although, judging by the stilted formality of the piece, it was written by a bureaucrat, not a real human; so probably nothing to worry about.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 7 April 2018 7:44:31 PM
Dear ttbn,

The information that I gave earlier came from more than one
site on the web - plus my own opinions as well. Hence
I did not choose to use quotation marks. Although
I always usually do as a rule.

In any case - when
you give quotation marks yourself, as well as
your sources for
any of your postings - then you may be in a position to
criticize me.

Dear Big Nana,

I'm not here to argue with you. Your opinions on
our Indigenous people's problems are well known on
this forum. And of course you are entitled to them.
I prefer to research a variety of sources - and check
and see how they relate to each other. All of them seem
to be saying the same thing.

You spoke about Indigenous websites? Well here's one that
sums things up rather well:

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/health/hospitals-doctors-health-aboriginal-people
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 April 2018 8:22:34 PM
Foxy, it’s not my opinion that says indigenous people in remote areas have the worst outcomes in health, it’s government data. And no, I don’t get my information from non official web sites like Creative Spirits.
A government study of indigenous/non indigenous health outcomes in all areas, urban, regional, remote, very remote shows that very remote indigenous people have the worst outcomes and that despite all the extra aboriginal health workers, clinics in communities, living on their own land with language and culture etc. indigenous people in very remote areas do worse than non indigenous. Even though they have far more services!
Here is the closing paragraph

“ The results of an additional statistical analysis by AIHW showed that the odds that a hospitalisation was potentially preventable was 1.5 times as high for Indigenous Australians compared with non-Indigenous Australians (even after controlling for the age, sex, and remoteness of the person who was hospitalised). Indigenous status therefore appears to have a larger effect than remoteness on whether a hospitalisation was for a potentially preventable condition.”

Here is the study.
https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/3fae0eb7-b2be-4ffc-9903-a414388af557/7_7-indigenous-health-remoteness.pdf.aspx
Posted by Big Nana, Saturday, 7 April 2018 9:19:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All