The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Theresa and Malcolm

Theresa and Malcolm

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Theresa May's stupid early election and likely hung parliament has seen her described as “Malcolm Turnbull in skirts”. Both the fools could have hung on and had some chance at re-election, given the majorities they had given to them by previous leaders.

Unfortunately, these two losers are the new face of conservatism, or what passes for it these days.

A UK commentator aptly described these new conservatives by saying that they “are not conservative enough”. They have become “inauthentic” and “duplicitous”, and not trusted (by voters) to defend “their own backyards” let alone “Western civilisation”
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 10 June 2017 4:50:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Malcolm was following Abbott's lead by going to a DD election. If it were not for pressure from the radical right it would not have happened.
The world has moved away from the conservative movement as a chaotic political party. Trump is well and truly in the firing line getting more intense every day.
Posted by doog, Monday, 12 June 2017 9:13:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On the 'inability to protect their own back yards' comment, the UK has been spending 40 million pounds a year on a programme,which is similar to our pie-in-the-sky, de- -radicalisation nonsense.

We can see from the regular terror attacks how well that is working.

MI5 says that they are currently monitoring over 3,000 violent extremists who are loose on the streets, and they are 'keeping tabs' on 500 'active' cases, which is an increase of 50% since 2007.

And, what does Theresa May do about all this? She plays silly buggers and calls an early election and angers the constituency (as all unnecessary elections do) and almost loses it.

Brilliant tactics!
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 12 June 2017 11:19:31 AM
No, ttbn, the polls indicated that if both May and Turnbull hung on any longer, then they would have decisively lost elections held at a later date.

<<We can see from the regular terror attacks how well [de-radicalisation programs are] working.>>

No, we can’t. How do you know the situation wouldn’t be worse without them?
Posted by AJ Philips, Monday, 12 June 2017 11:48:40 AM
Polls re elections should be banned. They're often completely wrong, and all that ends up is that the country is run by polls.

Conservatives are not really conservatives anymore thanks to the likes of Turnbull..and Labor is definitely not the Labor of the past that were more for the tough working man and his family. Now they're more for the gays, and I include all the very boring and ridiculous gender swappers in that... the doleys and the bogans.
Posted by moonshine, Monday, 12 June 2017 12:42:56 PM
moonshine,

I hear a lot of people claiming that polls aren't accurate (they're always right-wing, too, for some reason), and yet I can't remember the last time I saw polling that was shown to be wrong (I'm not saying it's never happened before, of course). Especially when they're consistent, or show a trend.

The polls before the British election predicted a hung parliament. The polling just before our last federal election also predicted the possibility of a hung parliament, and that was pretty close. I remember the polling just before our last federal hung parliament also predicting the possibility.

There's a reason politicians watch the polls like hawks, despite what they tell us.
Posted by AJ Philips, Monday, 12 June 2017 1:00:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy