The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What Should Be In OUR Treaty ?

What Should Be In OUR Treaty ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. ...
  14. 33
  15. 34
  16. 35
  17. All
Enough of this nonsense! The only way to solve this unnecessary problem, forced on us by people playing at 'aborigines', and a small minority of white renegades trying to tear the country down, is not to have a referendum at all; but, if we have to suffer such rubbish, we should vote NO to any chance of changing the Constitution just to please a bunch of black racists and Left wreckers of democracy.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 4 June 2017 10:12:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The genocidal practices perpetrated against Australian Aborigines were the outcome of policies adopted and implemented by all Australian governments from British settlement in 1788 until the present. A people who had virtually no contact with the outside world, were suddenly confronted with a hostile and alien force. Aborigines were forced out of their traditional homes, hunted like wild animals, poisoned or shot, and confined to the harshest and most desolate climes. The effect of British settlement upon these people led to near extinction within 120 years.
Since the Northern Territory Intervention began in 2007, the rate of child removals in the NT has increased by 80 percent. In Queensland the number of children removed from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island families has increased by 42 percent since 2007.
Nearly half of these children taken by the Department of Community Services have been placed with non-Indigenous foster families or carers. In the NT, nearly two-thirds of the children removed have been placed with non-Indigenous foster families.
Posted by doog, Sunday, 4 June 2017 11:37:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why is that, Doog?
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 4 June 2017 11:42:58 AM
Doog, firstly, no aboriginal people were poisoned, that's one of those urban myths thrown around, like aboriginal people being managed under the Flora and Fauna Act.
I won't go into all your misconceptions of the past but I will speak of child removals in the present.
I was a paediatric nurse in the north, both Darwin and the Kimberley, for thirty years. I had a lot of interaction with child protection agencies, as many of the children had been in hospital for neglect or abuse. I have also been a foster carer for some of my aboriginal grandchildren.
The reason so many aboriginal children are placed with white couples is simply because there are nowhere near enough black families who are willing, or suitable to take these children.
Welfare workers ask parents to provide names of suitable relatives who could take the children. But when investigated most of these families have very poor records themselves, either in child raising or with violence and drug and alcohol issues.
Other families refuse, for reasons of their own. And I have found that years later, some of these families deny that they refused, they claim they were never approached, I presume to ease their own conscience.
So agencies are forced to place children with white families. But when they do, that family has to sign an agreement that they will attempt to maintain a connection between the child and their indigenous culture. That they will facilitate visits with family to keep the bond alive. And most try hard to do this, but unfortunately the children's families are less than reliable when it comes to turning up for meetings or outings, or if they do turn up, frequently are drunk or stoned.
It's so bad in some cases that visiting parents have to be drug tested before each visit!
Very few people in Australia understand the level of squalor, neglect and violence some kids live with and whilst it's natural to feel horrified at the rate of removal, but if you knew what these kids go through, you would understand better.
Posted by Big Nana, Sunday, 4 June 2017 12:57:43 PM
Joe is correct in that eel traps are not farming. Aboriginal coastal groups in the north had fish traps, it's a basic, primitive way to catch fish. No different than using a net, which they also did.
But that's not farming, that's gathering and hunting.
And there is no evidence, in the north at least, that any method of food preservation was discovered, not even salting fish, which would have been easy for coastal people.
Food preservation and water storage would have been the two most important discoveries to help people survive in hard times and would have reduced the necessity of killing off unwanted children to keep the population alive.
I'm in the Kimberley, in a very fertile, productive coastal area, 90% untouched by white hands, and it's obvious that the amount bush food, both in tubers and fruit, could only sustain a small population, particularly as bush fruit is always seasonal and it's also generally small with only a tiny amount of pulp so you would need huge amounts to provide enough for a decent feed if you couldn't catch live meat or fish.
I find it strange that the numerous first hand accounts of the early settlers and missionaries made no mention of organised farming yet suddenly 200 years after the event so called experts are finding evidence of it
Posted by Big Nana, Sunday, 4 June 2017 1:20:55 PM
The arrival of Lt James Cook in 1770 marked the beginning of the end for this ancient way of life. Cook’s voyage of exploration had sailed under instructions to take possession of the Southern Continent if it was uninhabited, or with the consent of the natives if it was occupied. Either way, it was to be taken. Upon his arrival, Lt Cook declared the land he called New South Wales to be the property of Britain’s King George III, and ignored the inconvenient fact that the land was already well populated. His failure to even attempt to gain the consent of the natives began the legal fiction that Australia was waste and unoccupied.
Posted by doog, Sunday, 4 June 2017 1:45:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18