The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Don't be fooled by so called 'under employment' numbers.

Don't be fooled by so called 'under employment' numbers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
While there has been an increase in this area known as 'under employment' the reality is there are plenty out there who only get a few hours per week, on the books, but in fact, work a full week with the balance being paid in cash.

Whether it be from the same employer (primarily small business) or a 'top up' whereby they have a registered paid job, then a second/third 'cash job', the reality is this recently new trend has been in reaction to the mountain of red tape small businesses have to deal with just to create a job.

Then there are those who work a full week for a small business, retail and hospitality, smaller builders, the list goes on, yet only have a small amount of hours recorded, with the rest being paid in cash, at normal rates so as to avoid the ridiculous weekend penalty rates, and lets face it, who can blame them.

We then have an emerging trend of small employers flat right refusing to employ someone on the books and will only pay cash, or not employ them at all. There are two reasons for this, one being the employer chasing the cheap worker, the other being the fact that there is too much involved in creating a job and, rather than be rewarded, employers get penalised. It's just too hard for many. They don't have book keepers and are not educated enough to do the admin required, or should I say, demanded.

So don't be fooled by under employment.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 21 January 2017 7:21:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rechtub,

I have no doubt that it is hard for small business these days; governments seem to take a perverse delight in making life hard for the very people- the only people- who can provide jobs. But, all this 'off-the-books and cash payments stuff has to stop. Only when things are legal and above board can it be clearly shown what is going on, and how it can be stopped. The only business politicians are interested is their own (funny) business.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 21 January 2017 11:53:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your Mr Abbott had that all cured that is why you voted for him. He was going to slash red tape. Like i said he was and is a serial liar.
Posted by doog, Saturday, 21 January 2017 1:26:41 PM
There you go doog, one side of the story again.

Mr Abbott had his hands tied by the senate and you know it.

ttbn, cash payments will never stop so long as it costs twice as much on a Sunday to make a coffee as it does on a week day. Thats just a reality.

Of cause the other side is this. If i want to employ someone for a trial, i first have to induct them. Then i have to have them fill out a tax form, a super choice form, i then have to have my book keeper enter all the data into the system only to find out they are not what im looking for. So its simply not worth it, and i have a book keeper, so how do you think those without fair.

Of cause the other crucial point is in the fact that I, like all other employers are expected to do all this work for the government for free. Sorry, but unless they come up with a better more simplified system, cash payments will remain and many so called under employed will be doing just fine, especially those who claim family benefits and the like.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 21 January 2017 2:05:16 PM
Dear butch,

How are you faring with Superstream. I think it is brilliant for those who are okay with computers but some of the poor cockies who might have a part timer aboard it is going to be a struggle. I helped a couple of others set theirs up and can see it is going to cut down on the hassle quite a bit. Ten minutes a month instead of a good chunk of the morning.

I also think it will prevent those sharks who serially roll over companies leaving large Super debts from getting away with too much so cracking down on those withholding payments can only be a good thing.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 21 January 2017 9:01:33 PM
rehctub, what is the basis for your claim that this invalidates the underemployment numbers?
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 21 January 2017 10:26:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy