The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Aboriginal Crime

Aboriginal Crime

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. All
Hi Joe, you make a number of good points, re Maori V's Aboriginal, and I accept them to be so. The Maori language has made a substantial comeback in recent years. My partner spent 4 years around the year 2000 teaching Maori to both Maori and Pakeha adults in NZ, night classes, and on balance she said Pakeha make the better students, not me however I understand many words and phrases but my pronunciation is too Aussie.
Well, tomorrows is Waitangi Day and like several thousand others we will make our way to Merrylands in Sydney, to celebrate a day of culture and entertainment, food stalls, market type stalls, and overdue catching up with friends and relatives. There are 2 other locations around Sydney I know of where Waitangi Day will be celebrated.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 5 February 2016 9:43:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Paul,

I hope that tomorrow is a very fulfilling and rewarding Waitangi Day ! I've been to Waitangi two or three times, I tried to translate the Maori on the monument there and marvelled at the massive canoes up the hill - it was great to see a couple of shots of the meeting hall on SBS tonight. I have a couple of nieces over there who will in the thick of it :)

Best wishes,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 5 February 2016 10:58:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Joe,

My partner "T" is from the Bay of Islands and we have visited the treaty grounds at Waitangi many times. "T" is of the IWi Ngapuhi (1/3 of all Maori are Ngapuhi) from up north. To give you an example of how Maori have respect for those that have passed on. "T"'s Mum died in 1969, the family are now working to restore Mums grave to what it was, like all graves it has deteriorated with time, 46 years is a along time, Next month we'll return to the crematory in the bush to have a 2nd unveiling for Mum and spend time with the family, as well a couple of nights at Paihia/Waitangi.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 6 February 2016 8:46:10 AM
"I tried to translate the Maori on the monument" Will get "T" to do that next month. I believe the Big Waka was lasted used for a "Chief" it was Prince Charles some time ago, made from 3 tree trunks, the Ladies Waka is a good size to.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 6 February 2016 9:06:30 AM
Paul,
Just as an aside, Maori soldiers that I knew in Japan in the 1950s picked up Japanese at an enviable, indeed sometimes astounding, rate.

I remembered 'maru' being a common word in both languages, so i looked it up just now and it's common to a lot of cultures.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maru
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 6 February 2016 10:22:50 AM
Is Mise, Manu in Maori = Bird, Moni is Money.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 6 February 2016 7:40:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy