The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > This application should not even be considered

This application should not even be considered

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The story below is one of the worst crimes committed and where 'life' should mean life.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/kevin-crump-killer-says-hes-done-his-time-for-murder-of-mother-virginia-morse/story-fni0cx12-1227596461930

It is this type of heinous crime that makes me favor the return of the death penalty.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 7 November 2015 11:06:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Keep him in there for the rest of his life.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 7 November 2015 12:10:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo, I do not favor or support the death penalty. I do however agree life in prison should mean exactly that. Crump can appeal as it is his right to do so, but that does not mean he should be let out.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 7 November 2015 5:06:57 PM
I don't dispute the seriousness of his crimes, but after all these decades keeping him behind bars, what exactly do we gain by denying him the opportunity to apply for parole?
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 7 November 2015 7:06:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think, for the safety of society, this guy needs to stay behind bars at least until he's too old to hurt anyone else. That's often the goal with life sentences for dangerous criminals.

As much as I'd like to see this guy hanging at the end of a rope, I still wouldn't endorse the death penalty. The death penalty is archaic. It would put us on par with societies that we deplore on multiple levels (first world proponents of the death penalty fail to see the meaningful correlation there), and would come with a whole suit of disadvantages that I've already mentioned many times before on OLO.

The death penalty is about nothing more than anger and revenge. The cost of executing someone in the US discredits the are argument with regards to expenses. After the death penalty has been sought and the necessary death row period served, it would actually have been cheaper to keep the prisoner behind bars for the rest of their life.
Posted by AJ Philips, Sunday, 8 November 2015 12:28:06 AM
AJ the U.S system is ridiculous and is made so by their constitution, death sentences in the U.K used to be carried out within weeks of sentencing as they are today in china and elsewhere. People under a capital sentence should be given 30 days to appeal or plead their case for clemency then they should be executed.
This isn't the 19th century, we have DNA evidence and advanced forensic techniques, computer analysis, GPS tracking of phones and data retention laws and so forth, the possibility of being wrongfully convicted is far lower than in decades past.
Capital punishment should ba applied to murderers, drug importers/manufacturers and people who rape children under the age of 16.
Studies in the USA have consistently found a deterrent effect on other criminals from the execution of convicted felons and there's strong evidence that publicising trials and executions also results in a lowering of the murder rate in the weeks before and after the sentences are carried out. The key seems to be public awareness of the consequences of committing serious capital crimes, public executions or highly publicised cases having the most effect on suppressing violent crime.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 8 November 2015 11:14:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy