The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > This application should not even be considered

This application should not even be considered

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The story below is one of the worst crimes committed and where 'life' should mean life.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/kevin-crump-killer-says-hes-done-his-time-for-murder-of-mother-virginia-morse/story-fni0cx12-1227596461930

It is this type of heinous crime that makes me favor the return of the death penalty.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 7 November 2015 11:06:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Keep him in there for the rest of his life.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 7 November 2015 12:10:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo, I do not favor or support the death penalty. I do however agree life in prison should mean exactly that. Crump can appeal as it is his right to do so, but that does not mean he should be let out.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 7 November 2015 5:06:57 PM
I don't dispute the seriousness of his crimes, but after all these decades keeping him behind bars, what exactly do we gain by denying him the opportunity to apply for parole?
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 7 November 2015 7:06:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think, for the safety of society, this guy needs to stay behind bars at least until he's too old to hurt anyone else. That's often the goal with life sentences for dangerous criminals.

As much as I'd like to see this guy hanging at the end of a rope, I still wouldn't endorse the death penalty. The death penalty is archaic. It would put us on par with societies that we deplore on multiple levels (first world proponents of the death penalty fail to see the meaningful correlation there), and would come with a whole suit of disadvantages that I've already mentioned many times before on OLO.

The death penalty is about nothing more than anger and revenge. The cost of executing someone in the US discredits the are argument with regards to expenses. After the death penalty has been sought and the necessary death row period served, it would actually have been cheaper to keep the prisoner behind bars for the rest of their life.
Posted by AJ Philips, Sunday, 8 November 2015 12:28:06 AM
AJ the U.S system is ridiculous and is made so by their constitution, death sentences in the U.K used to be carried out within weeks of sentencing as they are today in china and elsewhere. People under a capital sentence should be given 30 days to appeal or plead their case for clemency then they should be executed.
This isn't the 19th century, we have DNA evidence and advanced forensic techniques, computer analysis, GPS tracking of phones and data retention laws and so forth, the possibility of being wrongfully convicted is far lower than in decades past.
Capital punishment should ba applied to murderers, drug importers/manufacturers and people who rape children under the age of 16.
Studies in the USA have consistently found a deterrent effect on other criminals from the execution of convicted felons and there's strong evidence that publicising trials and executions also results in a lowering of the murder rate in the weeks before and after the sentences are carried out. The key seems to be public awareness of the consequences of committing serious capital crimes, public executions or highly publicised cases having the most effect on suppressing violent crime.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 8 November 2015 11:14:39 AM
h, the possibility of being wrongfully convicted is far lower than in decades past.

Yes but o e wrongful death is one too many so the death penilty should o only ever be considered for cases whereby the offender is caught red handed ar la Martin Bryant. Circumstantial evidence can and does get planted at times.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 8 November 2015 11:47:56 AM
AJ Philips Quote "for the safety of society" Those words should be taken into account but Politically Correct does not, here is an example from Melbourne.

Three 16-year-old boys have been assaulted and robbed by a group of men after police shut down a teenage party in Melbourne.

Officers shut down the large party in Oakleigh East just before 9.30pm on Friday, but several youths remained in the area.

Three boys, aged 16, were assaulted and a wallet was stolen about 45 minutes later when about 30 young men, of African appearance, turned up near the gathering.

Politically correct let them into the country and society pays the price again and again, they should be deported on committing of any crime rather than one that draws a 1 year jail term.
Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 8 November 2015 3:11:10 PM
I had a bit to do with Kevin CRUMP and Alan BAKER when I was working. Both rank amongst the worst criminals NSW has seen, in the last half century or so. Any consideration of releasing either of them, would be in direct conflict with the recommendations of the trial Justice (who's name I've forgotten), who said inter alia, both should remain in Gaol for the rest of their natural lives, therefore they both should expire in gaol.

Many police at the time, openly expressed contemptuous views, saying that recommendation would probably not stand ? Essentially, because in the years to come, some 'do-gooder' or some politician would seek to make a name for himself by recommending both individuals be released, in the name of humanity and justice ?

I'm only a dumb ex detective, so I know nothing about rehabilitation or readaptation as a result of intensive gaol training, or any other psychological initiatives and remedial processes ? But I do happen to know both of these two crims quite well.

Of the two, Alan BAKER was the ringleader, and the most 'inventive' of the torture occasioned upon Mrs MORSE (the victim)? Kevin CRUMP is very much a follower, but equally as vicious as BAKER. Interestingly, at the time of their arrest Kevin CRUMP could neither read nor write, only comprehend the 'racing form' to be found in most daily news papers ?

It's therefore my humble opinion neither should EVER be released, for any reason whatsoever. To do otherwise, would be shaming the memory of Mrs Virginia MORSE and her family, together with the entire population of the town of Moree, in picturesque north western, New South Wales.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 9 November 2015 2:43:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Since convicting innocent people of murder and later finding they were stitched up is a national sport in Australia (especially WA but also notorious in the Northern Territory where a jury of ignorant rednecks found the Chamberlains guilty even after being warned by the judge that a conviction would be unsafe) no penalty should be irreversible. That rules out execution.

However gaol sentences should mean what they say with perhaps a proviso that if it is later shown that a defendant was wrongly convicted the prosecutor who convinced a jury beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty should be gaoled for perverting the course of justice. This should focus prosecutors' minds on seeking truth above convictions.

Members of parole boards should be made jointly and severally liable for crippling financial damages if a criminal they sool on to the public reoffends. This might concentrate their sympathies on innocent citizens like Jill Meagher rather than on scum like violent serial rapist Adrian Bayley whom they inflicted on the public.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Monday, 9 November 2015 3:00:47 PM
I remember a case in the UK where a released murderer in his late seventies killed a small girl. They are always a danger!
Never to be released should mean just that. NO payment to any lawyer appealing these laws in fact their names should be up in lights so we can spit on them!
Yes lets make any lawyer involved and the parole board liable to be sacked and bankrupted. No sleazy lawyer would risk one cent never mind an ex judge on a massive pension.
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 9 November 2015 4:51:56 PM
These people will be given a discount on their sentences so that they can be rehabilitated into Australian society.

I think that when they are released they should be billeted in the homes of a court magistrate so that they will feel a greater sense of rehabilitation.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 9 November 2015 7:00:01 PM
O sung Wu,
I had a feeling that you were involved in the investigation of Mrs Viginia Morse's death, perhaps you mentioned it some time back.

It makes me shudder to recall these heinous crimes.

Here is a list of a few other murder/rapes that you may recall.

Ebony Simpson, Anita Cobby, Janine Balding, Lauren Barry and Nichole Colllins, Sian Kingi Qld and Jill Meagher Vic. No doubt there are others that could also be classified as heinous.

One can google a Wikipedia page on each of the above

I believe the killers of these women have forfeited any right to be in our society, but as we no longer hang criminals, the best I can see is that they die in jail.
Posted by Banjo, Monday, 9 November 2015 8:41:16 PM
Hi there BANJO...

Horrific crimes occasioned against Misses COBBY and BALDING are another serious blight on our alleged humanity ! There wouldn't be a copper alive, who was around at that time, who wouldn't give their 'eye teeth' to spend ten minutes in a cell with the MURPHY brothers ! These two 'nauseating lumps of putrefying flesh', should've been decapitated with a small blunt pen knife, however they received very close personal protection from 'the system'.

I might ask where was 'the system' when these two innocent young girls 'thankfully' lost their lives ? I say 'thankfully' BANJO, because neither (including Mrs MORSE) would've wished to have survived such inhuman savagery ! I don't have the vocabulary in which to adequately describe these monsters !

I've said it before and I'll say it again; sometime I'm ashamed to be a member of the male species !
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 10 November 2015 12:01:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy