The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why do we have to keep snivelling to the US

Why do we have to keep snivelling to the US

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. All
Hey ttbn,
I looked at what I wrote after I posted it and thought to myself 'Yep thats technically incorrect, I hope nobody nitpicks'.
- I'm sure you understood what I meant but I admit the error.

"Do you think that anyone is truly mad enough to fire a missile when they know that in same second they do, one will be coming back at them?"

Yep, I do.
Under the right circumstances, I have little doubts.

All it takes is a small confrontation or false flag to cause serious animosity between sides, then a bit of argy-bargy from both sides vying for a better negotiating position turns - bad to become an all out conflict after which one side is pushed past where their own line in the sand is and the gloves come off.

- But you have every right to hold an alternative view if that's what you believe, and I like to hear all the differing opinions.

Also, I'd like to think I'm wrong in this case because I don't want a nuclear war.
- The man-made global warming people might really have a genuine argument then.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 30 October 2015 7:11:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My attitude to America?

Basically I just don't like the way they run their country, and honestly it wouldn't really be any of our business how they run their country, if the way they did didn't affect us. ( I believe others have the right to live however they choose so long as it doesnt affect me in an adverse manner - and on some level I extend that way of thinking to countries)

But the US is like the head of the family in some ways.
Maybe the fault is our our politicians pandering to them.
(I hate this gang mentality)

Is this 'head of the family' a responsible moral adult?
No, IMO they are more like a drunken, violent, greedy, short-sighted, egotisical, mentally unstable, 'head of the family' that is just as likely to engage in domestic violence (its own people) as much as it harms other people (other countries).

I agree with the points you made but I'd argue that the 'Bad America' is not gone at all.

How is the bad America gone when you now have a US president who starts wars without congressional approval and in breach of international law and also holds a policy of state sponsored terror for regime chance?

Is this a 'head of the family' you would call a responsible moral adult?
That you would really defend?
If so please explain.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 30 October 2015 7:11:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mhaze,
"So why do we and most of the western world continue to support the US even when they make less than perfect decisions as seems to be the default setting for this president?
Its because any world where a capitalist, liberal democracy isn't the pre-eminent power is a world less conducive to the freedom and prosperity we currently enjoy. I know the usual suspects will find that statement to be sacrilege but there you go."

If you are saying that we stand alongside the US because its the lesser evil, then I accept your line of reasoning, but I will never allow myself into foolishly thinking something is 'inherently good' when its real measure by all standards is that its only just the lesser evil or best choice.

I could give you a feces sandwich cut into halves, and just because you chose the half which had the least amount of crap smeared on it doesn't make it a good thing.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 30 October 2015 7:27:51 AM
AC I don't believe the millions of poor and exploited US citizens "choose" to live the way they do, but are controlled by a rampant industrial/military complex that is the United States.

"Only an idiot believes that killing enemy soldiers in a war is a war crime." Only and idiot would make such a statement.

“War crimes” include grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions and other serious violations of the laws and customs applicable in international armed conflict and in conflicts "not of an international character" listed in the Rome Statute, when they are committed as part of a plan or policy or on a large scale. These prohibited acts include:

murder;
mutilation, cruel treatment and torture;
taking of hostages;
intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population;
intentionally directing attacks against buildings dedicated to religion, education, art, science or charitable purposes, historical monuments or hospitals;
pillaging;
rape, sexual slavery, forced pregnancy or any other form of sexual violence;
conscripting or enlisting children under the age of 15 years into armed forces or groups or using them to participate actively in hostilities."

Shadow, the evidence shows the sinking of the General Belgrano by Britain with the loss of 321 of its crew was a war crime sanchanced by none other than Margaret 'Bloody' Thatcher.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 30 October 2015 7:43:00 AM
Armchair,

OK. But I think you should try to relax a little. As for America, well, I'm sure many of the Yanks don't like the way their country is run either. I'm not really keen on the way Australia is run. But as far as America's effect on Australia - that has a lot to do with how much Australia allows it to have effects on us. Then, there's the little matter of defence; we rely heavily on America for that. We probably don't have a sea-worthy vessel to send to cock a snoot at China in the South China Sea as America has done. About 70% of our exports go that way, and what could we do about the way China is carrying on. Even with Obama, America is still a good ally.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 30 October 2015 9:56:10 AM
China has never shown the slightest inclination that it poses a threat to Australia. Granted, throughout much of the 'Cold War' period a fear of the Asian yellow penal was continually fostered on the Australian populace.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 30 October 2015 11:42:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17