The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Culling Feral Cats

Culling Feral Cats

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Is killing cats the answer or are there other solutions to the problem?

"The Australian government has announced plans to cull up to 2 million feral cats by 2020 in a bid to preserve dozens of native species that authorities claim face extinction because of the cats' predatory behavior.

Speaking to a national radio station, Gregory Andrews, the country's first threatened-species Commissioner, said Australian Environment Minister Greg Hunt "is declaring war on feral cats, and he's asked me to take charge of that programme."

Hunt unveiled the five-year plan at a Melbourne zoo on Thursday, vowing to protect Australia's native mammal and bird populations.

"We are drawing a line in the sand today which says, 'On our watch, in our time, no more species extinction,'" Hunt said...."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australias-war-on-cats-government-plans-to-cull-2-million-by-2020-10398555.html
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 22 July 2015 8:30:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Is Mise,

From the little reading that I've done on the subject
I've learned that: -

In Australia, feral animals typically have few natural
predators or fatal diseases and some have high reproductive rates.
As a result their populations have not naturally diminished and
they can multiply rapidly if conditions are favourable.

Feral cats and foxes hunt and kill native birds, mammals, reptiles,
and insects. Their behaviour does threaten the survival of
many threatened species.

Therefore it does make sense to have some sort of a model
code of practice and standard operation procedures for the
humane capture, handling, or destruction of feral animals
in Australia.

However, I would hope and trust that
we do assess the relative humanness of
the proposed pest control methods currently
under discussion by the government.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 22 July 2015 1:58:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Politicians.

It is better than talking about the reef (GBR).

General comment
Pest reduction needs to be broad-based. Reducing cats will contribute to more rabbits for example. What about introduced Indian Mynah etc.

Take away the ridiculous registration of air guns and squirrel rifles, ie .177 (4.5mm) and .22 air-rifles, and rimfire. You could say the same for single and double barrel shotguns.

Put a small bounty on some ferals if needed, for example, Indian Mynahs.

Australia could put a lot of pressure on some ferals, eg rabbits, foxes and cats, simply by allowing hunting. Most of those hundreds of grey nomads would doubtless like some bunny for the pot and they can knock over foxes and cats through opportunity.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 22 July 2015 4:05:42 PM
Given all the past big-man talk about culling from politicians- cane toads, donkeys, camels, wild cattle, brumbies, African daisy, pricky pear, lantana, salvation jane, wild pigs, wild goats, rabbits etc, I don't think the cats have much to worry about.

Anyway, the way Abbott is allowing land to be sold off to foreign governments, the Chinese and their soon-to-be-imported cheap labour should have no trouble getting rid of pests. By putting a daily quota of fly bodies on every inhabitant in China, they got rid of flys in a very short time.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 22 July 2015 6:14:46 PM
They got rid of flies, too.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 22 July 2015 6:16:53 PM
Hi Foxy, can you please explain what you mean by this statement: "However, I would hope and trust that we do assess the relative humanness of the proposed pest control methods currently
under discussion by the government."

I'm confused how you wish apply 'humanness' to feral animals you are planning to kill off. There's no nice way to kill animals in the wild.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Wednesday, 22 July 2015 6:43:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy