The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Domestic Violence, More of a Concern than Terrorism.

Domestic Violence, More of a Concern than Terrorism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
I can only wonder just how much of the current kerfuffle about domestic violence is generated by the feminist movement as a weapon, or by journalists, now largely a female [& feminist] profession], generating some copy, & how much is actual fact. Obviously in a country with our population you can find many examples of anything you want every day, if you search hard enough.

I have only seen evidence of one act of domestic violence, & that by a woman. The wife of an acquaintance we were visiting suddenly started hitting him. We were amazed, as there was no loud argument or fight preceding her attack.

He gently restrained her, put her in another room, & came back as if nothing had happened. It was quite bazar. Embarrassed we made our excuses & left, never going back despite many invitations.

It is also my experience that verbal abuse is a weapon used to a much greater extent by the ladies than men, but even then, I have not seen or heard much of it.

Yep, very much a storm in a teacup generated as a weapon, rather than a major happening.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 10:06:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Joe,

One person subjected to domestic violence is one person too many. My line is as it has become such a recognised problem for what it is by society, we need to match that recognistion with the necessary resources to tackle the problem effectively, both short term, emergency accomerdation and in the longer term as well. Something all the indicators say we are not doing at present.

Hi Susie,

The death of a high profile person does tend to arouse more than the usual attention the problem would receive.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 10:27:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Domestic violence should be of concern to us all; and there are laws to remedy it. However, to compare it with terrorism is more than a bit of the mark.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 11:52:48 AM
Dear Paul,

I agree with you. There are many needs in our
society that should be funded better. Domestic
violence is one of them. The problem for Governments
is to find a balance and equity in what it is going to
fund. All we can do as voters is apply political pressure to
issues that we feel warrant support.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 11:54:17 AM
Hi Foxy,

Good point: apply pressure on governments where we feel it is needed. So, when it comes to domestic violence and the deaths of women, far more attention should be focussed on remote 'communities': even though male violence towards women may be part of traditional Aboriginal culture, I don't think it should be allowed, or in any way condoned, nor grossly minimised by some glib comparison with Vaucluse.

But as for 'balance', these are not either/or issues: governments must attend to a host of issues, that's their job.

Regards,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 12:07:47 PM
So that's 49 women murdered in domestic violence so far this year in Australia....how many shark attacks...terrorism deaths?

"Good point: apply pressure on governments where we feel it is needed. So, when it comes to domestic violence and the deaths of women, far more attention should be focussed on remote 'communities': even though male violence towards women may be part of traditional Aboriginal culture, I don't think it should be allowed, or in any way condoned, nor grossly minimised by some glib comparison with Vaucluse."

Oh dear....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-17/funding-withdrawal-puts-indigenous-womens-lives-at-risk/6476132

"A domestic violence shelter servicing 50 Aboriginal communities in the remote north of Western Australia has emerged as the latest project to miss out on funding under the Federal Government's overhaul of Indigenous funding."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/social-services-scraps-funding-for-homeless-and-housing-groups-20141222-12cf67.html

"The Abbott government has quietly signalled a retreat from the homelessness and low-income housing sector."

Get this guy, Loudmouth, who is The Northern Territory manager in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, Mark Coffey....

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-bureaucrat-flaunts-confederate-flag-in-alice-springs-wins-first-prize-20150707-gi7596.html

"....the Abbott administration's most senior Indigenous affairs bureaucrat in the Northern Territory failed to heed the warning signs.

The Northern Territory manager in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, Mark Coffey, won the best-dressed prize for turning up to a Beef Breeders' dinner in Alice Springs wearing a shirt emblazoned with the flag beloved by white supremacists."

I reckon Tones wants to get on to Mark Coffey about that....
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 2:33:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy