The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Domestic Violence, More of a Concern than Terrorism.

Domestic Violence, More of a Concern than Terrorism.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Domestic violence is often viewed as a “woman’s problem” by many Australians. As an Australian male I for one do not see domestic violence in this way, I see it as a scourge that affects many, not just women, who unfortunately often take the brunt of the verbal and physical abuse. It affects men as well, children and the elderly too, it is found in all strata’s of society, from the rich to the poor, city and country, and none are immune.
I was heartened to read in yesterdays SMH that three-quarters of Australians believe domestic violence is as much, or more, of a threat in our society than terrorism. Australia presently directs large amounts of money to the fight on terror, but little towards the fight on domestic violence, which is taking place every day in our homes all around the nation, affecting many thousands of our citizens. However I was amazed to read, again in the ‘Herald’, only the day before that, in my home state of NSW, women fleeing domestic violence are being turned away from refuges in droves. A quote from a shelter manager “If you are a woman looking for a bed tonight, you are on a wild goose chase.". NSW only provides 350 beds state wide for the victims of domestic violence, often women and children in a crises situation. Official figures show that there were 28,870 domestic violence assaults reported in the state in the year up to March 2015, many more go unreported. So far this year eight women have allegedly been killed by their partners.
It is high time our politicians tackle the problem of domestic violence head on, the people recognize the problem why don’t our elected representatives
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 7 July 2015 11:42:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Paul,

Yes, two women are the fatal victims of domestic violence each week.

And I'll bet one of them is Aboriginal.

But I guess that will all be fixed when we change the Constitution :)

There are different levels and intensities of threats: domestic violence, terrorism, flu, AIDS, sharks and car accidents all present different sorts of threats.

Domestic violence is more immediate, up-close and individual, something we can all relate to and which many of us, even in the sheltered cloisters of OLO, may have experienced.

Terrorism seems to be much more distant, not really connected to our daily lives. But don't kid yourself: it's going to be around for many decades yet, certainly all the rest of my lifetime.

It's not a matter or either/or, Paul :)

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 8:48:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Paul, if this Government gave as much of a damn about the deaths from domestic violence as they do about the threat of IS, then maybe more resources could be thrown at the problem.

Maybe the violent death of Phil Walsh at his own home will be a catalyst for real change?
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 9:27:20 AM
Hi Suse,

Yes, that might make a difference.

The Aboriginal woman just beaten to death in Oodnadatta ? Nah, probably not.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 9:33:58 AM
Hi Joe,

I only see victims and not the colour of their skin, I am sure an aboriginal woman living in Redfern feels pain just as much as a white woman living in Vaucluse, children are also often the victims, not always physically abused, but certainly emotionally abused. I note your cynicism with "But I guess that will all be fixed when we change the Constitution". Not unless we shove the Constitution up the backsides of the perpetrators.
Yes I agree, its not a matter of either/or, its the fact that the majority of Australian now recognise domestic violence as the serious threat that it is, and we need to direct far more resources into tackling the problem than we do presently. If we can devote huge resources to one fight, possible we can also devote the necessary resources to another fight, a fight the majority of Australians recognise as being just as important.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 9:37:58 AM
Hi Paul,

You rightly suggest that " .... I am sure an aboriginal woman living in Redfern feels pain just as much as a white woman living in Vaucluse,"

just maybe a bit more often ? And an Aboriginal woman existing in a remote 'community' might be feeling it a bit more, last night and this morning, than an Aboriginal woman in Redfern ?

To put these things in proportion, I respectfully suggest that the ratios might be something like:

* 1 in 100,000 women in Vaucluse;

* 1 in a thousand Aboriginal women in Redfern;

* 1 in every hundred Aboriginal women in a remote 'community' - and that might be just last night.

Here's an outrageous claim: that last night, in every decent-sized remote 'community, at least one Aboriginal woman was brutally bashed by her beloved. Here's another: that last night, in every decent-sized remote 'community', at least one Aboriginal woman or young girl was raped. By people she knew, and had grown up with: i.e. in the 'community'. What do you reckon that does to a woman's psyche ?

Cynical, moi ? About the impact of Constitutional change ? As yet another silver bullet ? You bet.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 10:04:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy