The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Domestic Violence, More of a Concern than Terrorism.

Domestic Violence, More of a Concern than Terrorism.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
Haven't you figured it out yet?

Misanthrope is parodying extremist views. He's taking the piss out of misogynists and coincidentally out of all the people who took him seriously.

I had a good laugh, and then an even better laugh at all the posters firing up with righteous indignation over parody. God I love the internet.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 17 July 2015 8:15:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Toni,

Yeah, I agree - nobody could be that backward. Misanthrope, whoever she is, got me there :) I apologise to anybody offended by my assuming that such opinions were genuine: primitive, brutal and vile.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 17 July 2015 8:32:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Who knows whether misanthrope is for real or just Toni Lavis or someone playing funny fellers? But it's a nonsense to suggest that nobody can be that backward. 1500 million Moslems can be for a start if they follow the immutable word of Allah in their own holy books. See these for openers:

http://www.hraicjk.org/punishment_of_muslim_women.html

http://islam.stackexchange.com/questions/7483/does-the-quran-allow-husbands-punish-their-wives

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/quran/003-wife-beating.htm

http://thechroniclesofislam.blogspot.com.au/2009/12/maintaining-discipline-in-islamic-home.html
Posted by EmperorJulian, Saturday, 18 July 2015 12:10:09 AM
//I apologise to anybody offended by my assuming that such opinions were genuine//

No need to apologise; you've not offended anybody. Getting fooled by a skilled parodyer doesn't reflect badly on you; conversely it reflects well on the parodyer; who by cleverly adopting the guise of someone primitive, brutal and vile has managed to fly under your radar.

Frankly, I'd be a bit more concerned that you can fly under the radar by pretending to be a piece of shyt and thus gain acceptance. How many decent, caring people might have smuggled themselves in to positions of power by pretending to be pricks, when they're not really pricks at all? One shudders to think of a parliament full of pricks pretending not to be and vice versa.

//Who knows whether misanthrope is for real or just Toni Lavis//

I'm not him/her/it, and she/he/it is not me. I wish I was, because he/she/it has taken you all on fantastic ride and I am not that creative.

//1500 million Moslems can be for a start if they follow the immutable word of Allah in their own holy books.//

Do 1500 million Moslems all read the Koran in exactly the same way? I'm curious because I was raised on the same Christian Bible as those weird Hillsong people, and I would sooner sever an important artery than admit any sort of kinship with those lunatics. Their interpretation of scripture makes a mockery of the Catholic values I was brought up with, and I don't think they have any more right to call themselves Christians than Satanists.

Does every single one of the 1.5 billion Moslems in the world read their holy book in exactly the same way, or is there difference of opinion like you find in Christianity? Are there Moslems who dislike other Moslems because they're a bit too happy-clappy and a bit too Tory? I don't know, but it certainly seems a more reasonable hypothesis than assuming all Moslems are drones and incapable of independent thought.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 18 July 2015 12:46:34 AM
Hi Toni,

Yes 'Misanthrope' has a gift for parody and caricature. But surely not even Muslims - the great majority of Muslims - would be so backward as to believe or practise what she wrote.

Surely, as you say, just as believers in every faith, including atheists, pick and choose to a large extent, and not all that consciously, most Muslims put aside the violent rubbish of the post-Mecca surahs and loosely let the earlier verses guide their lives: pray five times a day, fast during Ramadan, donate to good causes, treat each other equally, live and let live, and so on.

I'm confident that most Muslims would laugh at the assertions that 'Misanthrope' purports to make in support of brutality and gender inequality. I'm sure most would agree with the 32nd verse of the fifth Surah 'The Table Spread', that

" .... We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption [such as selling one's daughter ?] in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whosoever saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. ...... ' (Pickthall edition)

Of course, a more civilized version of that would suggest that it is not enough to save one life (and then do whatever one likes), one must do whatever one can to continue always to save lives, to live a life in which one does not ever take another's, nor in any way to be brutal to women or children.

As - I'm sure - most ordinary Muslims aspire to do very day. Ordinary decent Muslims would not bash women or children, just because they can, or just because they can scrape up some distorted justification for it in an obscure part of one of their books. They are more civilized than that.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 18 July 2015 10:11:39 AM
The Royal Commission's first first cab off the rank is gambling. Another meaningless c_o_r_r_e_l_a_t_i_o_n - bones for criminology and sociology and psychology wonks and social engineers to pick at. Anything other than the actual crime and those who choose to commit it, who are immediately vulnerable to savage state reprisals to sweep them out of public and private space. One can bet that they'll scrape the barrel for the whole gamut of evils (non-religious of course - no PC sacred cows) other than the violence itself. Are they going to address the only evil that has a 1_0_0_% correlation with violent crime - violent criminals?
Posted by EmperorJulian, Saturday, 18 July 2015 11:03:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy