The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should We Pay People Smugglers?

Should We Pay People Smugglers?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 60
  7. 61
  8. 62
  9. Page 63
  10. 64
  11. 65
  12. All
FOXY, all I can attest to is what I've experienced myself. If as you say 90% of these people are honest, reliable folk who's only wish is to escape their former lifestyle...? I just can't make a comment on those figures. I again repeat those we rounded up, were from the bottom of the barrel, who lawyered-up, with Immigration Department's assistance, within 90 minutes of their arrival at the CIB ? Distressed boat people ? Some how, I just don't believe it ! Though we later determined nearly all of them came here, as distressed asylum seekers ? Something's wrong somewhere ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 9:31:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear O Sung Wu,

I can't argue with your experiences.

I can only judge from the facts presented
by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 8 July 2015 10:52:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Briefing papers provided and linked to by government agencies are not cast in tablets of stone. They reflect the political administration and thinking of the time, and in some cases are limited to the personal opinions of researchers as a result of grants.

Commonly the briefing papers note the limitations, one being that the views expressed might not be the official advice of the agency concerned. It is misleading to quote without giving the source and preferably, noting any limitations and restrictions disclosed in the subject paper.

Apart from that, '90% refugees' could be a very poor result where every rehearsed story was accepted, as was the case under Labor. Likely the 90% was hugely optimistic and damned foolish, lacking due diligence, when compared with the better routine screening performed by other countries.

What is significant is that Kevin Rudd, the PM responsible for trashing the successful Pacific Solution later admitted along with his Foreign Minister Bob Carr and other senior Labor stalwarts that there had been widespread abuse of asylum by economic migrants.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 9 July 2015 12:33:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"What is significant is that Kevin Rudd, the PM responsible for trashing the successful Pacific Solution later admitted along with his Foreign Minister Bob Carr and other senior Labor stalwarts that there had been widespread abuse of asylum by economic migrants."

What was significant was that Rudd and Carr saw a huge surge in the redneck vote on asylum seekers and thought that Labor could join the Coalition chorus and grab some votes for itself by shouting "me too!" on harsher measures...and off Carr went to the press while Rudd was cooking up the rest of the offshore deal.

(Yep - otb, you can get all outraged that I used the term "redneck" which should keep you occupied for a few posts:)

Btw, 94% of those arriving by boat were found to be genuine....
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 9 July 2015 12:47:08 AM
LOL Poirot

The ever patient Shadow Minister will be back later to play your forum parlour game of tit for tat, where you make up your own rules as you go and never make a proper exchange.

BTT
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 9 July 2015 1:01:58 AM
otb,

Just thought I'd preempt your usual response to such things.

You should be flattered that I know your style so well : )

BTT
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 9 July 2015 1:19:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 60
  7. 61
  8. 62
  9. Page 63
  10. 64
  11. 65
  12. All