The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should We Pay People Smugglers?

Should We Pay People Smugglers?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 63
  10. 64
  11. 65
  12. All
runner, Ms Triggs is very serious, and unbiased despite a few gullible people falling for the government's claims to the contrary.

Is the rate of 1200 drownings over the 6 years Labor was in power really worse than the mystery number of drownings since then? You don't know and can't know!

And while there were a lot of children in detention when Labor was in power, they weren't in detention for so long.

If this was really about the drownings, the Liberals wouldn't've blocked Swap The Boats in parliament. And if it were really about the drownings, those who come here on seaworthy vessels would be treated as though they'd arrived here by plane.

_________________________________________________________________________________

o sung wu, on the issue of states' rights versus human rights (something the USA once fought a civil war over) I favour the human rights. Why don't you?

_________________________________________________________________________________

Yuyutsu, economic migrants are unlikely to be after handouts, as the handouts don't amount to much compared to what they can earn working.
Posted by Aidan, Sunday, 14 June 2015 4:40:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Aidan,

<<Yuyutsu, economic migrants are unlikely to be after handouts, as the handouts don't amount to much compared to what they can earn working.>>

Perhaps, but it doesn't end with handouts: since those who arrived without permission have no legal status, they cannot open a bank account; they cannot have property registered in their name; if they're robbed or if their employer doesn't pay, they cannot call police; and if sick or injured they cannot go to hospital. I wonder how prosperous they can get under these circumstances.

They could of course remain indefinitely as servants/maids/slaves in Australian households or farms, but I don't believe that too many would find this attractive enough to risk their life at sea.

The refugee convention requires giving them a legal status, but once Australia withdraws from that convention (which it doesn't intend to keep anyway and does whatever it can to circumvent it anyhow), it will no longer be required to do so.

Nothing of course prevents Australia from accepting as many genuine refugees as it wants into Australian society - the others should be able to enter the continent of Australia, but not automatically become members of Australian society.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 14 June 2015 5:35:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there AIDAN...

'Mystery' number of drownings since then eh ? You don't know and can't know ?

And neither do you AIDAN !

You carelessly state that you favour human rights over States rights.

What exactly are you inferring there old boy ? What, we don't have any 'humans' in Australia ? What unmitigated nonsense you speak ? Ever Australian deserves to have their rights protected just as much as these alleged refugees ! Any *legitimate, *bona fide *refugee will be accorded everything we're humanly capable of giving them !

However, every manipulative and conniving criminal, artfully posing as some poor wretched refugee ostensibly fleeing for his life ? While he's setting his compass and carefully steering the most direct and shortest course, towards the closest Aussie Social Security Office ? Geez we've been taken as mugs for the last seven or so years ! They can all now bugger off, with the kind assistance of the business end of a serviceable Barrett .50cal.

I honestly can't believe AIDAN, how you and others like you, who harbour the same opinion, are so dupable and credulous in this matter ?
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 14 June 2015 5:50:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No.

The Government has convinced me that these evil people smugglers who make a profit from human misery and that we should take every measure possible to crush their despicable human trafficking.

Slipping them a quiet $5000 under the table is not taking steps to crush their despicable human trafficking. It is financially supporting it: the exact opposite of trying to stamp it out. It is the Government saying one thing and doing another.

It is hypocrisy. Blatant and unashamed hypocrisy. But I bet the rusted on conservatives around here will find some way to defend yet another failure from a truly appalling Government.

Oh well, they're only fooling themselves. Swinging voters are not so easily fooled.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 14 June 2015 6:00:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
. Swinging voters are not so easily fooled

come on Tony look at the gullible public who voted for Rudd. Only the very gullible could possibly exchange Howard for Rudd.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 14 June 2015 6:59:30 PM
//come on Tony look at the gullible public who voted for Rudd. Only the very gullible could possibly exchange Howard for Rudd.//

Runner, I am thinking more in terms of where I am going to cast my future vote. When you provide me with a working time machine or blueprints for a working time machine then I will give more consideration to where I cast my past vote. If that is physically possible.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 14 June 2015 7:09:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 63
  10. 64
  11. 65
  12. All