The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What's Good and What's Bad about Life in Australia?

What's Good and What's Bad about Life in Australia?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
I take my grandchildren to a huge park nearby.
They have great fun there with other children.
They especially like the "flying-fox," which
is their favourite. We live in a very leafy,
green, tree-lined suburb with plenty of parks,
and walking trails. There are also advantages in
living in a small court as we know all the neighbours
and it's also a safe place for the kids to inter-act.
There is a very strong community feeling in our suburb.
People tend to look out for each other.

I don't mean to sound like Pollyanna - but I really have
no reason to complain.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 9 March 2015 1:05:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We live a bit north of Brisbane. When we get up we put out seed for the seed eating birds. Most mornings we go the community swimming pool and exercise. Then we come back to the house and have breakfast. We have our breakfast drink on the back veranda and toss bits of meat to the kookaburras, butcher birds, magpies and noisy miners. Occasionally we see wallabies, koalas, goannas, dragon lizards and snakes. One wallaby became friendly and wanted a hug before going to his carrots and lettuce. Our nearby neighbours are great. They occasionally look in on us. When the water main connected to our house sprung a leak our neighbour who is a plumber detected it before we did and fixed it gratis.

There is so much to do that there is little time for TV. I try to watch David Attenborough's documentaries but usually fall asleep during them. I wish life were so good for everyone.
Posted by david f, Monday, 9 March 2015 1:38:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, would that be Jell Park ?
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 9 March 2015 1:48:57 PM
Dear Bazz,

No it's not Jell Park.

Although that's also a lovely area.

Dear David F.,

Your life-style sounds wonderful.

My elder brother lives in Byron Bay and he also has
interesting birds and wild-life nearby.
He sent me some amazing photographs of a family of
owls that I've had framed.

He goes surfing all year round and he loves the
beaut beaches.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 9 March 2015 2:09:46 PM
There are a huge number of blessings in Australia. As already stated the beaches, the mountains and deserts are stunning. Its great that airfares are much cheaper than 20 years ago so it makes some of these great places more accessible to many. Australia is great because most get a fair go. Personally I consider it a great blessing to have friends from many parts of the world that have made Australia their home. On the down side more and more kids are growing up without a mum or dad and the drug problems are creeping into every part of society.We have been dumb with our open border policy and allowing ghettos to set up generational crime and welfare fraud. Certainly discriminating in favour of minorities is costing the majority. Overall however I know of no other place I would rather live.
Posted by runner, Monday, 9 March 2015 3:04:58 PM
Yes I'm with you Foxy, although I reckon we have been a bit lucky with our timing. My schooling that mattered was in Townsville, Bathurst & Young. In any of them a kid could walk or ride anywhere at any time of day in safety.

I got a scholarship to Uni when only those with half a brain went past intermediate, & in 1958 when a girl could catch a bus home after a late lecture, & walk the suburbs in Sydney safely.

I never had much money, too busy playing games, but our economy & system allowed me earn what I needed to play those games. It would have allowed me to become very comfortable, if that had been my wish.

You the taxpayer taught me to fly, gave me a lovely trip to Hawaii on your 23,000 ton cruise boat, & a private jet to fly around in when I was there. Hell you even paid me to do it, what more could a kid ask for.

Out of the navy, I could earn enough to fund my own Brabham, get to drive Formula 1s & for Holden & Ford. No money in it back then, but I think it was better that way.

I could even buy an old yacht, & go tripping around the Pacific, no restrictions or requirements other than a passport.

I was allowed to slip back into the society after 8 years with such ease, it was as if I had never left.

Starting at near 40, with very little, I've been able to do all the family type things, with real ease. My 20 acres is a beautiful place to be, out of the rat race, but not far enough to be a hassle.

I don't think there are many places I could have led my life, certainly none in the old world. Perhaps the US or Canada, but not as easily as it has been in Oz.

Yes Foxy, we are damn lucky, but I doubt our grand kids will get it so easy.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 9 March 2015 4:26:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All