The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > It's time to decide, do we become 'pro active' or remain

It's time to decide, do we become 'pro active' or remain

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All
AJ: <<All well out dated theories that the Modern World has to put up with.>>

Well just off the top of my head from past discussions;

Early, Confucius, Plato, Aristotle.
17th Cen., Comte
19th Cen., Du Bois, Durkheim, Marks. I hear he's your favourite.
20th Cen., Woolf, Mead, Webber.

Their writings & thoughts on Society have no relationship with the 21 St. Century. So really you are living on past glories that no longer relevant.

No word from poirot & Pericles about the Rally at Lakemba went to-day.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 23 January 2015 4:34:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I suspect that mathematics is not your strong point either, Jayb (along with accuracy of recollection, that is).

>>OSW: 7/11d per hour @ 4A$/£1
A$31.08 per Hour. Not bad for back then.<<

Let's do the calculation together, shall we? Do you have a crayon handy? Good.

Now, write down the following in your best handwriting:

7/11d is £0.396

A$4/£1 is £0.25

Now divide the bigger number by the smaller number (can you tell which is which? Well done)

The A$ equivalent of is 7/11d per hour is therefore A$1.58 per hour.

But hey, you were only out by a factor of nineteen.

Oh, what was that you said earlier?

>>My credibility is intact. You just wish.<<

I'd say it was in tatters right now.

And not quite, o sung wu, but very close.

>>Edgware Road, doesn't it continue on from Park Lane and go past Marble Arch, crossing at Oxford Street ?<<

Edgware Road actually starts at Marble Arch, i.e. where Oxford Street meets the Bayswater Road, and heads north as far as Maida Vale.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 23 January 2015 5:39:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
At least two sections of the same road futher north also have the name Edgware Road.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 23 January 2015 5:47:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jayb,

You've quoted yourself there and then responded to that instead. If you want to duck and weave, then you could at least be a little more subtle than that.

You listed names too, by the way. Not perspectives. So not only have you responded to yourself, but you didn't even address what you had said. You're being evasive with both of us now.

And from “from past discussions”, Jayb? Hardly very scholarly for someone who claims to know better than those who study sociology and those who utilise the knowledge we’ve acquired from it in their professions.

Back to my request, though: how about you pick a sociological perspective and educate us on how it (or the knowledge that we’ve acquired from it) is utilised nowadays and why that utilisation is of no use? It would need to be pretty impressive too given all that it needs to negate.

Speaking of which, that list of fields I mentioned earlier should help you brainstorm if you get stuck for examples, .

Don’t forget to back your claims with evidence too. Don’t just assert.

I await your reply.
Posted by AJ Philips, Friday, 23 January 2015 6:19:16 PM
Pericles: The A$ equivalent of is 7/11d per hour is therefore A$1.58 per hour.

You are right. I had it upside down. White wine. Actually I make it A$1.61

How was the Lakemba Rally? You did go didn't you? Did you see poirot?
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 23 January 2015 7:23:33 PM
AJ: Back to my request, though: how about you pick a sociological perspective and educate us on how it (or the knowledge that we’ve acquired from it) is utilised nowadays and why that utilisation is of no use? It would need to be pretty impressive too given all that it needs to negate.

Well that's just the thing. I don't know how you use the theories that were out of date 100 years ago in a modern World. Unless you want to take us back to the last Century. I suppose it has become so Specialized that it like Cricket. Every time someone hits the ball it's a new world record of some description. It's still based on a Flat Earth & Witch Burning, theories that have no place in a modern World. Is there anyone doing any study at all on the 21st Century thinking. I didn't think so. Back to the 16th Century theories. They were good enough for people then, they are good enough for people now. Ay.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 23 January 2015 7:38:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. All