The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Government Authority needed; Individuals be permitted to carry a weapon for self protection ?

Government Authority needed; Individuals be permitted to carry a weapon for self protection ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All
Since the awful events that occurred in Martin Place recently, there's been much, much discussion concerning our 'rights' as responsible adults, to carry a 'weapon' of sorts, in order to defend ourselves against a violent attack.

Personally, I'd NOT choose to carry a weapon of any sort, for the purposes of self-defence. But that's me, just a silly ol' coot ?

Firstly, (in principle) do any of you agree with this proposition ? If not, why not ?

Initially - Should 'ANY' screening measures be undertaken, 'prior' to an applicant being granted a, (licence 'application') - Criminal/Psychological ? Isn't everyone entitled to protect themselves from a violent attack ?

However, if your answer is in the affirmative, how do we (the government) determine what types of weapons should be authorised ? And in what mode should they be carried ? *In full view of the public ? or, *Completely concealed ?

A synopsis of weapons under review might include, but not limited too;

*Firearms (F/A's),
*Edged weapons,
*Impact weapons,
*Chemical Incapacitants,
*Electronic Immobilizers,
*and variations of the above.

and;

And what are your thoughts on the 'limitations' that government might place on these weapons, together with those who possess them ? And what levels of instruction should be mandated, before being granted, a licence ?

*Training schedule - including successfully completing a exam.
*Legal obligations,
*Storage & safekeeping,
*Inspection requirements.

I've raised this Topic purely to give everybody who's interested, some space to articulate their thoughts and views on a very 'touchy' 'controversial' subject. In response to the recent events that have occurred, both here in Oz and abroad. There's no 'right or wrong' views or opinions. It's merely a discussion, nothing more. I'd very much appreciate, hearing from our ladies, as I've no doubt they will substantially enrich such a discussion !
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 2 January 2015 3:53:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Since the topic is so touchy, lets begin with allowing good people to have weapons in their own homes and businesses, for self-defence. There should be minimum requirements to ensure that weapons do not fall in the hands of criminals, but at least the requirements for being allowed to keep a weapon at home should be lower than the requirements for carrying a weapon in public.

Frankly, I would leave the discussion about the exact requirements to those who are more expert than myself.

Personally, I too would never choose to carry a firearm, though some good sword or dagger under the bed can be reassuring. However, I could certainly benefit from the fact that burglars wouldn't know for sure that I don't have a firearm at home, which is another good example why anonymity in this forum is important.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 2 January 2015 5:30:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you YUYUTSU...

For starting the topic, I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in such a controversial subject, given the events of the past year, and the emergence of this damned ISIL group of thugs.

I expect there would be many who would welcome the ability to lawfully possess a means of protecting themselves, their loved ones, and of course their property ? You speak of a good sword or dagger under the bed, and I appreciate your thoughts. However such implements might prove quite ineffective or inadequate to protect yourself or others from an attack. But may well intimidate a thief from stealing from you, is all ? Crims. who enter your dwelling in order to hurt you, or your family, are generally armed. Still... ?

Thanks YUYUTSU.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 2 January 2015 7:59:07 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is an awkward topic, given that for the time being Australia is one of the safest countries in the world, the idea that people need to carry a weapon for protection is very foreign.

I can imagine that in some other countries this is totally necessary or even hirer bodyguards.

The problem with weapons is that it is possible for the offender to use that weapon against the person who intended to use it for protection.
Posted by Wolly B, Friday, 2 January 2015 9:02:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I should add some regular items can be used for protection. Hair spray instead of mace.

Car keys held a certain way can do a lot of damage to an offender.
Posted by Wolly B, Friday, 2 January 2015 9:04:30 PM
Hi there WOLLY B...

You're so right when you say how safe we are compared to other countries ? I couldn't imagine there'd come a day when we all had to pack a F/A ? In fact I had to carry the damn thing for the past 32 years at work, and they can become very uncomfortable to wear, either in a shoulder rig or on the belt ? Add handcuffs, a couple of speed loaders, and you walk around all day with your knuckles almost dragging along the ground, such is the weight.

Your comments on having your weapon taken from you during a struggle is very valid indeed. In fact so serious is it, Command have directed all police recruits undertake a process called 'Handgun Retention', an active counter measure, in order to stop a crook attempting to take your F/A, (disarm you) during a struggle ? A highly dynamic response, but generally quite effective nevertheless ? Thank you WOLLY B.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 2 January 2015 9:44:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy