The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Self inflicted medical conditions

Self inflicted medical conditions

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Do women wear high heels to attract men or because other women wear them or is it just'fashion'?

Whatever the reason it seems to be a rather stupid practice.

"According to Dr. Nevins, when you wear high heels - shoes with a heel two inches or higher - your foot slides forward in your shoe, forcing the toes into the unnatural shape of the shoe and redistributing your weight incorrectly. The increased weight on your toes causes your body to tilt forward, and to compensate, you lean backwards and overarch your back, creating a posture that can strain your knees, hips, and lower back. "The change to the position of your spine puts pressure on nerves in the back and can cause sciatica, a condition where nerves become trapped, triggering pain and numbness as far down as the feet," Dr. Nevins adds."
http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-your-health/health-conditions-library/womens-health/Pages/high-heels.aspx

Should those that self inflict such medical conditions be subsidized in their treatment?
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 11 October 2014 5:21:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise "Should those that self inflict such medical conditions be subsidized in their treatment?"

It would be very hard indeed to prove that only the wearing of high heels has caused back problems etc, especially if the woman (or man!) had a job that involved physical work, like nursing.
So I doubt that the health department could ever legally punish women for wearing what they like on their feet.

It would be like refusing to subsidise those with illnesses or diseases caused by smoking, drinking, eating fatty foods, eating sugary foods, working in dangerous occupations, driving cars, doing extreme sports, doing ANY sports where they might get hurt, taking medications with possible side effects, owning dangerous animals......indeed the list is endless.

I guess the health department would save a lot of money if they did stop subsidising all these activities.
In fact, after discounting all the things people might do that could cause health problems, we wouldn't need a health department because there would be no one left to treat!

I have never worn high heel shoes, by the way.....
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 12 October 2014 11:24:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise,

"Do women wear high heels to attract men or because other women wear them or is it just'fashion'?"

A combination of both, I should think.

In my teens (in the high-heel chunky cork fashion of the 70's) I bought a pair of whoppers - and then proceeded to trip my way up the main shopping precinct) That experience left an indelible impression and my heels were subsequent lowered. Now I would steer clear of very high heels - especially for general day wear.

There's little more ridiculous than seeing a woman (and heels have shot up high again - so I've seen a few lately) walking with their bums stuck out in a sort of awkward strut, attempting to stay upright and move forward simultaneously in a clop-clop manner - their feet rigidly encased at a weird angle in a pair of high-rise foot coverings.

And some women have a full-on fetish for shoes....I've never been able to work that one out.

I wonder why?

(Still, I have a thing for books and book shops - maybe it's similar:)
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 12 October 2014 11:49:25 AM
Is Mise wrote the question not as a "genuine" question about self inflicted medical conditions. It was written as an anti female rant by someone who feels threatened by modern female freedom and independence. That's obvious by the language used. He'll deny it of course, then a bit later on will launch into more strident anti female attacks.
Posted by May May, Sunday, 12 October 2014 12:05:17 PM
May may,

You're probably right re "...as an anti female rant..."

However, I fail to understand why you think women tottering uncomfortably around inhigh-rise footwear is a sign of their independence.

It's a sign that they follow fashion slavishly and they know their legs appear more alluring to males if they're stretched awkwardly and their calf muscles are accentuated.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 12 October 2014 12:36:12 PM
May May < "Is Mise wrote the question not as a "genuine" question about self inflicted medical conditions. It was written as an anti female rant by someone who feels threatened by modern female freedom and independence."

You got it in one May May, but I decided to tackle the taunt from a medical point of view, so he can't really argue.

It's a wonder the other notorious 'good ol' boys' aren't here already, nodding their heads vigorously, scratching their equipment, and beating their chests.
OR.....maybe the other boys actually like women in high heels? :)
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 12 October 2014 1:37:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy