The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why is it that our hero's become villains ? And our villains become hero's ?

Why is it that our hero's become villains ? And our villains become hero's ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. 24
  10. All
Wandering through a large book shop today my attention was drawn to a newly released book by; Major Michael MORI. titled: 'Company of Cowards - Bush Howard and Injustices at Guantanamo Bay'. Maj. MORI was the US Military appointed lawyer to defend David HICKS.

Having glanced at the brief synopsis contained in the book I immediately placed it back in it's rack. Having done so I wondered why it is today, some people having been caught in circumstances that clearly reflect some guilt - after the dust had settled, seemed to be elevated to almost hero status ? I even heard that a 'fan club' had been formed by certain enlightened members of our community, ostensibly the 'Left' I would've thought ?

Even the inimitable entrepreneur Dick SMITH, threw his influential weight behind Mr Hick's, all the while calling for his immediate release, and even going so far as finding suitable employment for him ? I've no problem with that, it's the 'morality' that I question ?

There are many 'criminals' - some never having been convicted, who also receive similar hero status, some even lauded by the media, often being called upon to provide commentary on matters of criminality ?

Yet there are thousands upon thousands of 'faceless' individuals who are by the nature of their status, or employment are hero's, who are regularly cast as the villains in society ? As an example; 'Police allow convict to escape' or 'Prison guards bring in alcohol' or perhaps 'Customs Officers allow friend through with drugs' or 'Paramedics too slow to save heart attack victim says relative' or 'Australian soldiers seen to mistreat prisoners' ? And, because it's written, so it must be true. Unless you're a villain, and even when it is true, it doesn't matter we'll forgive you !

Whenever one of those number above venture to speak out, they're described in part as '...right wing warriors (who apparently) permeate the blogs & internet sites, magazines etc. so many...' ?
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 27 September 2014 3:01:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes o sung wu, the David HICKS of this world, who chose to go off to be trained as terrorists, are obviously anti Howard/Abbott, & that is enough for the left. With haters such as the hard left, any enemy of my enemy is my friend. As long as they are anti Howard/Abbott, they are welcome.

In many cases the terrorists is only doing what our hard left would actually like to do, but lack the guts to do more than shout. They are even more disgusting than the David Hicks, as unlike him, they are often bright enough to know full well, the result their actions will bring but just don't care.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 28 September 2014 6:20:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Talking about heroes, I will be dropping our flag to half mast tomorrow 29th, for the Police Remembrance Day.

We should never forget the sacrifice and service of those killed in the line of duty.

We should remember too, the police still serving or retired and the relatives and loved ones who wait, or waited, for them to come home safely, duty done.

To all reading this, including their family members, thank you.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 28 September 2014 7:21:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
onthebeach

always respected the Police but I must say those who now lead mardi gras have turned into pc social engineers.
Posted by runner, Sunday, 28 September 2014 7:24:45 PM
runner,

Hi there.

I don't know much at all about the Mardi Gras. They are probably reflecting the will of their political masters.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 28 September 2014 8:01:37 PM
Hi there RUNNER, ONTHEBEACH and HASBEEN...

ONTHEBEACH...

A close colleague of mine (my partner), at the start of one of our shifts, said to me, (I was senior member) that he was taking our car for an hour or two, to undertake some enquiries. No probs. I had a Brief to prepare. Generally though, you NEVER do enquiries on your own ? Come around 1100h, he'd not returned, and there was no response on the radio. We organised a search in the area where he'd given his last radio check. He was found a bit before noon, in some parkland, parked almost out of sight behind a small copse of trees. He'd eaten his Mod 10. Married, several teenage kids, with nearly eighteen years up in the job. Go figure ? Lest 'I' forget ?

Yes RUNNER...

That Mardi Gras stuff was just coming in as I retired. Ostensibly the purpose of the Mardi Gras policy was to show all and sundry the police force was an 'inclusive' organisation, and non-judgemental. Therefore by openly accepting the purpose of the Mardi Gras the police tried to put on a 'human face', so to speak. Most of the rank and file were pretty filthy on the subject, still you do as you're told, simple as that. The government wanted a 'touchy feely' police 'service' without resorting to the word 'force' ?

Hi there HASBEEN...

After the David HICKS catastrophe I figured I'd seen it all ! All this was on 'a LNP watch' under no lesser light than Mr J Howard PM ? I realise much pressure was applied to have the US release Mr HICKS, purely because he was an Aussie. No question of his guilt or innocence, just he was an Aussie, and you simply cannot lock up an Aussie ! According to David HICKS's 'Leftist' fan and cheer squad ?
Beats me HASBEEN.
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 28 September 2014 9:55:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. 24
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy