The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why Political paralysis will ultimately harm Australia:

Why Political paralysis will ultimately harm Australia:

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
I'm surprised at you Bazz, speaking ill of the Greens, Democrats, & past independents, particularly from Tasmania & New England.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 15 August 2014 3:54:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ooohhh, they might 18c me !
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 15 August 2014 6:01:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there HASBEEN & BAZZ...

Yes a novel idea to be sure, but too impractical unfortunately. No, I think the only absolute way to ensure ethics and honesty amongst politicians, is to re-introduce the firing squad.

* Actually, the three words; 'honesty and Ethics' and 'politicians', somewhat of an 'abomination and a blatant obscenity', don't you agree ! *
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 15 August 2014 6:24:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are right about the firing squad, O Sung Wu

Unlike the rest of you, I have considerable faith in the willingness of ordinary people, at least in reasonably large groups, to listen to good advice and do what is right. The Athenian democracy survived for 200 years while selecting its politicians by lot, not election, and their city was far more successful than other Greek city states ruled by oligarchies (essentially what we have). It finally all came an end, not because of internal problems, but because a small city state could not stand up to King Philip of Macedon (father of Alexander the Great).

An Athenian citizen was willing to serve on the Council of 500 or in other offices, not because he was given a huge salary and great perks, but because he cared about his city and wanted it to survive into the future. Making politics a road to riches is an insult to all the men who gave their lives in war time or came back with pieces missing. What is the point of paying lots of money to get the "best" people if they then use their intelligence and other talents to benefit themselves at the expense of the rest of the community.

If you really like our present system, perhaps we should outsource our government to the property developers and the multinational corporations. At least we could save quite a lot of money by cutting out the middleman.
Posted by Divergence, Saturday, 16 August 2014 2:00:39 PM
Ah DIVERGANCE my friend do I detect a small element of cynicism with those remarks made in your last couple of sentences ? Surely a man of your obvious fiscal intellect must acknowledge the absolute necessity to ensure the nefarious ways of the 'middleman' are both protected and preserved ? If not who on earth will poor ol' ICAC investigate ? Surely not wayward (retired) detectives ?
Posted by o sung wu, Saturday, 16 August 2014 6:46:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not much chance of politicians being abolished. To avoid confusion - I am a woman.
Posted by Divergence, Saturday, 16 August 2014 7:32:12 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy