The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why Political paralysis will ultimately harm Australia:

Why Political paralysis will ultimately harm Australia:

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Hi there DIVERGENCE...

What a thoroughly interesting concept ! I must admit I've never heard of such a scheme, but considering many of the world's greatest philosophers are Greek it's little wonder they'd think up something so unique and innovative.

Do you think it's probable that a scheme such as this, if it were to be introduced, some of those selected for parliamentary service, albeit their previous lives were impeccable, unblemished and ethical, once exposed to all that power and the trappings that power brings, might become just as corruptible as today's politicians ?

I've no doubt, such a system would produce some excellent outcomes, with many of those selected, unselfishly serving both their Nation and the citizens of that Nation superbly. Still as the saying goes, all you need is one bad apple to spoil the lot !

Would you perhaps agree, that prolonged exposure to 'power' and 'greed' are in themselves, highly contaminating ? And notwithstanding how moral, how ethical and how honourable a man may be, the close and continued exposure to absolute power, and all that it brings, will ultimately 'turn' even the strongest most resilient of men.

Because we all possess human failings, therefore those failings ultimately makes us all supremely vulnerable to the seductive lure of possessing immense power ! It's been said there was only one, who never yielded to the immense temptation of having unfettered power - and the legend goes, that he was tested for forty days and forty nights...?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 13 August 2014 5:38:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are right, O Sung Wu. People do get corrupted by power, but there would have to be fewer of them than with the present system, which attracts and gives preselection to people who are already corrupt. In the sortation system, there would be no possibility of re-election, so the motivation to take compromising donations or bribes to finance election campaigns would not exist.

We could eliminate those high salaries and perks. Politicians would be paid enough to do their jobs and live like most people in the community. They would get the same sort of superannuation that other Australians can expect, although I would give them veterans' benefits as compensation for having their lives disrupted for several years. Among other considerations, people who have gotten used to wealth might be more likely to enter into corrupt arrangements to keep the money flowing.

We could periodically audit the politicians after they leave office and also look for evidence of pay-offs in the form of highly paid jobs for which they are obviously unqualified.

We are never going to totally eliminate corruption, but it doesn't have to be the blight that it is now.
Posted by Divergence, Thursday, 14 August 2014 7:33:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Basically the Two Party System is raping our democracy.
By it's very structure and nature it ensures that those we get to elect are the very best at backstabbing, brown-nosing and self-aggrandisement, hardly the sort of qualities needed to lead a nation, or any part thereof.
All the Party politician's loyalty is to self first, Party second, and their electorate a distant third, the Nation doesn't even figure in the equation.
For so long as we allow this bunch of self-serving and utterly untrustworthy power seekers to run our lives we are doomed to national degradation.
Australia still has a narrow window of opportunity to seize back our own country, but the pollies are working to close that as we speak.
If enough voters follow a simple dictum we just might be able to achieve something worthwhile politically.
That dictum is best summed up thus...
"Put the Partys LAST".
Posted by G'dayBruce, Thursday, 14 August 2014 9:03:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there DIVERGENCE & G'DAY BRUCE...

DIVERGENCE, your thoughts do have much merit to recommend them, as I've mentioned previously, and perhaps it would go far in reducing the endemic corruption that exists today ? The only area that I could see that might (I say 'might') dislocate the proposal somewhat, is remuneration, and the attendant benefits that go with that remuneration ?

No matter what process we have, in choosing our politicians, if we fail to positively acknowledge their good works, by paying them an ordinary just average salary, then over time what we'll receive is 'ordinary, just average' output ? Don't you think ?

Hi there G'DAY BRUCE...

The trouble with a political system made up of individuals, rather than the party system, is we'd rarely get consensus on anything of significance. Nor would they (as individuals) necessarily embrace the very important fiscal or social issues that arise from time to time ?

Notwithstanding, I do fundamentally agree with everything you've asserted, on matters of moral failings and ultimate corruption of individuals. But I'm not entirely sure how a system that's devoid of major political parties, that are capable of consensus, would work ?

Thank you both for your valued contributions, I do appreciate it.

I reckon I've pretty well exhausted everything I wanted to say on this dreary subject. This whole (protracted) political corruption thing, depresses me immensely. Maybe, some of you may wish to continue with the discussion ? That said, I'd like to thank you all who've taken the time to 'value add' valuable comments and ideas to this pretty banal topic. I do appreciate all your efforts, greatly.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 15 August 2014 1:20:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with you completely there o sung wu. A bunch of disparate independents would be a complete rabble, & a recipe for disaster. You would have to have leaders to ever get anything agreed to in such a mob, & this would lead to the formation of interest groups. These of course would by a party in all but name.

The other major problem in such an arrangement, as the people of New England found, is that you have no idea of how your independents will vote on most matters. It is hard enough to be sure of a parties likely voting tendencies, but with independents you have very little idea on a very wide range of things.

For all their problems, I'll stick to parties thanks.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 15 August 2014 2:12:34 PM
Because it becomes necessary to have the government made up of a number
of ministers, there is no way one man can do it, a cabinet system is
necessary. Then, you have to have a group of like minded members to
form that group. Then you have a party.

No matter how you elect them, they will end up in groups.
Usually for any policy there will be formed two groups.
This is because there is usually two options, yes or no.
If a third group forms they probably blackmail the other two groups.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 15 August 2014 3:41:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy