The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Who is the bigger threat?

Who is the bigger threat?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. All
<< in a country so successful at true multiculturalism that people from all over the world would love to live here!>>

SPQR: 'spoken like a true Lefty'.

Actually I think it's spoken like a true libertarian.

People want to come here because they think we're a progressive western country that allows individuals the freedom to pursue their aspirations.

Refugees or not, many people coming here leave countries that prevent this if you are of a certain ethnic group, or religion, or gender. They believe that in Australia people from all backgrounds have this freedom. (Some of us call it multiculturalism).

Pity we don't always live up to their expectations that we are a true liberal/libertarian place.

(Before I get flamed: I do think libertarianism USA style can go to far, it needs to be balanced with communal attitudes. Total individual freedom eg not to pay taxes doesn't build community assets like roads).
Posted by Cossomby, Thursday, 24 April 2014 10:55:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Cossomby, Suse, and Paul,

Australia is a nation of migrants and throughout
Australia's history, millions of migrants have
helped build this country. People who come here
are determined to establish a new life for
themselves and their families and are willing to
work hard to make the most of their opportunities.
In my experience - I have not heard of any one
denigrating Anzac Day. As a matter of fact I have
helped many students work on the meaning of
Anzac Day - similar to the project mentioned
by Cossomby. With very positive outcomes.
It is a concern how these nasty and vacuous
rumours get started and by whom.?
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 April 2014 11:27:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cont'd ...

I read that rumours had started about Anzac badges not
being allowed to be sold in a certain shopping centre
because the Manager of the centre was from the Middle-East.
This turned out to be a lie and racist nonsense.

Management responded with - "spreading such
misinformation seems only to generate hatred and resentment
against some sectors of the Australian community. Passing on
dangerous and divisive lies of this nature is irresponsible
and ultimately un-Australian."
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 April 2014 11:37:10 AM
Don't be so naive Cossomby. That was before we started letting in undesirables.

Once our new citizens breed up to get a larger part of the population, forget freedom. You will be down on your knees looking towards Mecca 4 times a day, whether you like it or not.

Of course you may all ready be doing that, hence the tone of your post.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 24 April 2014 11:38:26 AM
Cossomby, "Total individual freedom eg not to pay taxes doesn't build community assets like roads"

I was intrigued by what you meant by that and in a progressive society.

Just a idea and maybe a few examples where people ought to be able to choose and opt 'out', so I understand what you meant.

Thanks.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 24 April 2014 11:43:33 AM
Cossomby,

<<People want to come here because they think we're a progressive western country that allows individuals the freedom to pursue their aspirations>>

ROFLMAO

They want to come here to accrue economic advantage!

NB: They by-pass India --the worlds largest democracy. And Malaysia and Indonesia --which persons like you never tire of insisting --are tolerant Muslim nations where everyone is treated fairly!

And you want to know another funny thing: soooooo many of them want put their kids in non-progressive one-faith schools!
Posted by SPQR, Thursday, 24 April 2014 11:51:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18