The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Global warming less than the recent past

Global warming less than the recent past

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
<< OK lets fight. >>

Alright then! BIFF SOCK WHAM…. ):>)

<< at 70% the vegetation is more akin to a natural ecosystem than to a cleared paddock >>

Yes it is indeed Hazza. A lot of the time it may not look much like old growth at all. It is often much thicker. But hey, we had to have a cut-off point somewhere at which point the size of regrowth needs to be closely assessed. And when you think about it, the 70/50 rule was a pretty good one. It could easily have been 50/50, or perhaps 30/50.

<< What right do you have to dictate what someone can do with their own property. >>

Oh come on! We have all sorts of restrictions placed upon us, whether we live on a rural property, in suburbia or an inner-city unit. The various laws are there for the greater good.

Tree-clearing restrictions were introduced directly because of irresponsible clearing practices, which led to loss of topsoil and productivity, erosion and silted-up water courses, as well as the loss of biodiversity.

I spoke to many landholders who expressed agreement with the legislation and condemned those who have cleared and overstocked irresponsibly in the past, and would continue to do so in the absence of these laws.

In all my years of doing property inspections, assessing regrowth and regional ecosystems and discussing the whole business with hundreds of landholders as I was shown around their properties, I never encountered anyone who opposed the laws as strongly as you do…. and most of them had no trouble in speaking their mind very forthrightly.

And let’s not forget that most of the time landholders got to clear pretty much what they wanted anyway.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 17 March 2014 4:16:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Luddy, I have a very strong aversion to other people trying to dictate what one may do with their own property.

If someone wants to control property I have bought & paid for, they should come & make me an offer I can't refuse. Then as owners they can do what they want, otherwise get the hell out of my life.

Perhaps a friends experience affected my thinking here. He was fined numerous times for rabbit infestations on his property. The fact that the national park adjacent was nothing but a giant rabbit warren was not allowed as an excuse for his inability to keep them down.

Just because a property owner becomes unable to maintain his property is no reason to give control of it to some grasping green gestapo for ever. A new owner will come along soon enough to bring it back to useful. Until national parks are a pristine example of how to look after nature, government & grasping greens have no place on private property.

I watched Paterson's curse take over much of the Riverina with continual re-infestation coming from stock routs, national parks, & other government owned land. To me government control is a recipe for disaster, only exceeded by greenie control.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 18 March 2014 10:34:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< To me government control is a recipe for disaster, only exceeded by greenie control. >>

Haz, I reckon that is a very polarised way of looking at it. It just isn’t anywhere near that simple. Government and greenies aren’t total demons and rural landholders total saints. They’ve all got their merits and shortcomings.

As I said; the reason that tree-clearing legislation was introduced was because there were huge problems with over-clearing, which in conjunction with other bad practices such as overstocking, has led to the enormous loss of topsoil, fertility and productivity and to erosion and massive ecological damage.

In my discussions with landholders, their main criticism was not of government but of landholders who had done the wrong thing and cleared too much country or the wrong sort of country, hence making the legislation necessary.

This happened on a massive scale. It was the culture of the day to clear too much country. So much for your view that landholders were best off left alone to do what they wanted with their land.

As with a million other facets of our lives, we need regulations to keep things under reasonable control, or else they’ll run off the rails.

People are generally NOT good at doing what is best for the greater common good, in the absence of laws to make them do it!

The Vegetation Management Act was simply fundamentally good law-making!

The great problem with it was that it was mooted for a long time before it actually came in, thus allowing for a massive phase of panic clearing across huge areas of Queensland. It should have been introduced quickly, with only a very short period of notification for the public.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 18 March 2014 11:04:07 PM
<< …government & grasping greens have no place on private property. >>

Actually, a very large part of rural Queensland is leasehold, not freehold, which means it technically isn’t private property, and is government-owned.

But regardless of whether a property was leasehold or freehold, the vegetation management laws applied, just as many laws govern what you can do on urban properties, regardless of whether you own the property outright, have a mortgage or are renting or living in government-owned public housing.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 18 March 2014 11:21:42 PM
so all these volcanoes going off soonish
whats the pole shift going to do..but create a nuke winter
18 months of no sunlight..put that into your planning[no solar power for two years...And the ony thing that can save us..is coal]

12 Signs That Something Big Is Happening
To The Earth’s Crust Under North And South America
http://investmentwatchblog.com/12-signs-that-something-big-is-happening-to-the-earths-crust-under-north-and-south-america/

Why are fault lines and volcanoes all over North and South America suddenly waking up? Are we moving into a time when major earthquakes and volcanic eruptions will become much more common? For the past several decades, we have been extremely fortunate to have experienced a period of extremely low seismic activity along the west coast of the United States.

You see, the west coast lies right along the infamous Ring of Fire. Approximately 75 percent of all the volcanoes in the world are on the Ring of Fire, and approximately 90 percent of all global earthquakes occur along the Ring of Fire. Scientists tell us that it is inevitable that "the Big One" will hit California someday, but people have gotten very apathetic about this because things have been so quiet out there for so many years.

Well, now it appears that things are changing in a big way - and not just along the California coast.

BUT HEY IT WAS 'GREAT'..WHILE IT LASTED..
BUT SOON YOU TOO MUST PAY THE RENT.
Posted by one under god, Monday, 31 March 2014 11:45:44 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ONE WAY..OR THE OTHER..YA GOING TO GET THE LONG LONG NUKE WINTER
ALL ALL YOU MUGGINS WHO WANTED THE NICE CASH COW..DONT GET INCOME..BUT HUGE DEBT..TOO..[HOW GOES THAT CHINAMAN FU YU TOO.]
YA GOT TOO CLEVER ENRON.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/28/white-house-looks-to-regulate-cow-flatulence-as-part-of-climate-agenda/#ixzz2xHqYITaT

WARNING WARNING IS GOING TO BE LIKE A COW PAt
[once..UPON/OUR TIMES..A Bird Story

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold; the bird froze up and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on it. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy.

A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him!

The morals of this story are:

* Not everyone who drops shHHHH it on you..is your enemy.
* Not everyone who gets you out of sh/..it is your friend.
* And when you're in deep sSS hit,..keep your mouth shut!

http://peoplestrusttoronto.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/office-of-outgoing-jpmorgan-asia-ceo-raided-by-hong-kongs-commission-against-corruption/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/uu60061837#summary
http://www.activistpost.com/2014/03/shocker-comparing-deaths-from-medical.html

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/03/actual-photo-of-flight-370-clone-at-tel-aviv-airport-2928028.html
http://xrepublic.tv/node/8195
http://xrepublic.tv/node/8178
Posted by one under god, Monday, 31 March 2014 11:50:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All