The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > An open letter to Mr Hockey. Tax reform

An open letter to Mr Hockey. Tax reform

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
rehctub,
Those "economic vandals" left an economy with a AAA rating, low inflation and rising productivity that was outperforming most of the world.

I realise it may be difficult for some to hold more than a single thought in their head at a time but there is much more to an economy than debt - such as health, infrastructure, employment and social cohesion.

Soon we will be stripped of what's left of our assets to enrich and further empower certain political supporters and the tax burden will be shifted further back onto the poor.

After watching him speak, I think Joe has some anger management issues and his constantly disproven lies about the effects of the Carbon Tax make him look more of a fool.
Posted by wobbles, Monday, 24 February 2014 8:02:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Again I will say what no one else even bears a thought for (as I have many times on OLO)….

Please, think about the demand side as well as the supply side!!

All the stuff that requires our tax dollars to be spent on it is forever increasing, and very rapidly so.

All basic infrastructure and services need to be constantly duplicated for the ever rapidly growing population! And a great deal of the existing I & S needs to be forever upgraded due to it becoming overburdened.

I wonder how much of our tax budget this consumes. It must be huge!

If we could significantly reduce this factor, then I doubt that we’d need any other sort of tax reform in order to balance the books! If we properly addressed the demand side of the equation, we would probably not need to do anything on the supply side!

One of the most fundamental parts of tax reform and fiscal management that this government needs to do is to lower the rate of increase in the demand for all the stuff that our tax dollars get spent on…. by greatly reducing immigration.

They need to sort out the good growth from the bad growth, and strive to reduce the bad growth as much as possible.

This is surely of the most paramount importance for Joe Hockey and Tony Abbott to come to grips with.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 25 February 2014 12:41:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< So rather than telling Hockey how to grab more money, lets just tell him to spend less >>

YES Hazza!!

And I’ve outlined in my previous post just how we need to do that.

<< Fortunately it does appear as if that is his inclination anyway, thank god. >>

No. His overall inclination is to spend less, mostly on things that really need expenditure…. and not at all in the ways that we should be reducing expenditure - by reducing demand for all the stuff that our tax dollars are spend on… … or at least reducing the rapid increase in demand.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 25 February 2014 1:21:21 AM
You can't do more with less, with rising population it only stands to reason that you need more funds. Hockey has been saddled with a no more GST from Abbott's pledges in blood.
To try and do more with less will make for a poorer society. They will flog off everything they possibly can. Hospitals and public schools will go, to raise funds to try and look like they are doing something. To do away with the carbon tax is another 6 billion black hole each year the little man will have to pay for.
The car makers are going to leave a 20 billion black hole over five years. Our GDP is 1.552 Trillion $ and rising.
Unemployment is guaranteed to rise, their attempts at stopping immigration is costing 1 million every five minutes, and ongoing.
since they have been there 60 billion $ has been added to our debt in five months. They need to do something, all we hear so far is talk.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 25 February 2014 7:53:11 AM
rehctub
You have part of the solution but there is more'
1. A tax on the non use of land rather than taking for use. That would mean more production and lower local produce and livestock prices internally and more employment.
2. An increase of 5% in the GST on ALL good and services and 10% on luxury goods.
3. Remove the ability to write profits off against losses in differing businesses and get rid of selling tax losses as a profit.
4. Use the superannuation funds to build low cost housing and necessary infrastructure for nation building.
5. Restore the tariff barriers to protect Australian Industry.
6, There must be more but I can't think of them at the moment.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Tuesday, 25 February 2014 8:48:57 AM
Ludwig, you & I have been pushing our respective hobby horses for some
time but certainly the pollies are not listening and quite a few here
are also pretty deaf to what we have been saying.

The silly part about it is it can be demonstrated by simple arithmetic.
The government will not act on population because both political parties
see advantage in larger population, for different reasons and they
are able to avoid the abuse they would get if they cut back on immigration.

They ignore and even suppress their own dept reports that warn them of
the risks they are running by continuing their current fuel policies.
This leads them to not put a reservation on natural gas exports as it
would make the Gladstone LNG projects uneconomic.

The policies of both parties on immigration, population and energy
will lead us into a major economic disaster.
There is going to be an economic problem that nothing will avoid but
government policies will make it much worse.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 25 February 2014 9:59:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy