The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > PM not wanting to discuss issue

PM not wanting to discuss issue

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Banjo,

I hope you're not inferring that any slowing of the boats is due to any actions pertaining to the LNP.

Ignoring for the moment, that Morrison has seen fit, in good fascist form, to limit information regarding arrivals, any slowing is in response to Labor's (equally odious) policy of turfing them onto Manus with no hope of settlement in Australia.

The thing that has always puzzled me - is why, if Australia wishes to treat its asylum seekers as unwelcome detritus, it doesn't just withdraw from the convention...instead of trying to pretend its a jolly good humanitarian fellow...

It's not!
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 30 October 2013 9:05:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not many leaky boat skippers will be willing to risk their lives from now until about April, because the monsoon/cyclone season is starting in Indonesia and Australia.

Thus I wouldn't get too excited over less boats.

I'm sure Manus Island has stopped some boats too, but I read that some asylum seekers still would rather Manus Island than the hell they are running from.

How can anyone be sure they aren't all asylum seekers?
This Government have no right calling these people 'illegals' before their claims are processed. I am embarrassed by this Government...
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 31 October 2013 1:38:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suse,
Australia wasn't built on Multiculturalism it was built on the power differentials created diversity and inequality,it's a British colony remember? Let's be honest here, if there's a set of values implicit in the history of European settlement it's not connected to egalitarianism or cosmopolitanism.
Your other comments are silly, the notionally "Muslim" regimes who buy Australian goods and services didn't say boo when Australia invaded Iraq and Afghanistan, as long as there's a skim off the top of trade deals for the Emirs and their senior bureaucrats they're unlikely to care if Australia's immigration rules are changed.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Thursday, 31 October 2013 5:50:51 AM
PM not wanting to discuss issue
Banjo,
I'm sure he does with the right people.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 31 October 2013 6:17:53 AM
Abbott said what, "There’s no doubt that if you’re a professor of history from New Delhi you’re going to integrate faster than a slum dweller from Glasgow. There’s no doubt about that." no doubt
A blasphemer, no doubt. Doesn't Abbott realise the professor from New Delhi is most likely BLACK! and the Scottish slum dweller is WHITE!
I bet that comment alone seen the Abbott shrine picked up and tossed out of the Banjo house.
That's it, no more trips OS for Abbott, he is obviously been mixing with the wrong colored crowd. What was the man thinking?.... Glory be to the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghosts etc etc, just saying a prayer for our poor misguided PM.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 31 October 2013 6:34:22 AM
Poirot,
I think the boats have now slowed because the new government sent the illegals the message that they will not get what they seek. However it will take tougher measures to stop the boats completely.

I agree with you that Aus should withdraw from the convention as it is only a handicap in our efforts to stop the boats

Susie,
You are incorrect, Aus has never been multicultural, we have always been multiracial and our foundation were built on the Westminister system. Our governance, law and education are all based on that.

It is only reasonable that we expect all newcomers to fit into our established society. If we find, as we do, that some particular groups cannot or will not adapt then we should stop allowing them entry as permanent residents. e.g. If we are encountering problems with African refugees integrating, then change to getting refugees from say Burma. I haven't heard of any problems with the Burmese refugees that are here. If conflict continues between Sri Lankan groups, then stop allowing them in. Similar to the Serbs and Croats who have been fighting each other for 2-3 generations. I also think that those groups that practice forced marriage and FGM should be excluded. It is not as though we have to encourage people to come here.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 31 October 2013 7:16:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy