The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Kelvin Thomson for ALP Leader

Kelvin Thomson for ALP Leader

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Labor is struggling to find a new leader. But all those in the running – Bill Shorten, Anthony Albanese and Tanya Pliberseck are well-known as strongly associated with old-school Labor and would not be likely to give the party the new lease of life that it desperately needs.

There is however one person who has been a Labor MP for a long time, who has demonstrated his broad visions and commitment to the long-term health of our society over many years, who stayed right out of the leadership wrangles and who is relatively unknown and hence able to really give Labor a freshen up and rebirth.

Australia desperately needs a fundamental political change away from continuous growth and the continuously increasing demand for everything, towards a sustainable future where the demand is stabilised, and done so well within our means of supplying everything that is needed in an ongoing manner.

Kelvin Thomson is almost unique among our politicians in realising this imperative. And he is now potentially in the position of leading the charge in this all-important direction.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/573/733/702/kelvin-thomson-for-alp-leader/
Posted by Ludwig, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 8:39:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are in complete agreement, Ludwig

It is worth pointing out that his electorate also agrees. As of now (from the Electoral Commission website), Kelvin Thomson was re-elected with the highest share of the two-party preferred vote of any Labor candidate.

http://kelvinthomson.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/statement-on-labor-frontbench-labors.html
Posted by Divergence, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 1:09:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just the tiniest of flies in this ointment of yours, Ludwig.

The man himself has stated:

"As I told my campaign team on Saturday night, I will not be a candidate for the Opposition frontbench... Anyone who thinks my decision to return to the backbench means that I am looking to lead a quiet life and slip out the back door is very mistaken. On the contrary, it is a necessary pre-condition for being active in the debate about the issues which are of greatest importance to the world and this country"

So your campaign is doomed before it starts.

If Thomson changes his mind about the leadership/opposition front bench, it is equally likely that he will change his mind about anything and everything else, just as every politician does when faced with the reality of high public office.

If he doesn't change his mind, he will remain a small-but-annoying voice on the back bench, and will probably end up in that land of complete irrelevance, the Greens.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 1:46:36 PM
I could think of nothing worse for agriculture. Thomson has campaigned heavily against live exports, thus associating himself with the Greens, Animals Australia etc on this issue. If people want to pass judgement about agriculture, firstly they need to understand something about the topic.
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 1:52:41 PM
Ludwig with nothing but respect for you a bloke I think of as a mate you are off track.
Labor has this task.
To pick a leader who can lead, that man is Bill Shorten.
Your pick is a good bloke but unlikely to ever seek or be offered such a job.
Tania P is the likely 2ic.
My preference is Albanese.
He however may not stand.
Shorten comes from the ALP right, now is not the time for marginal leaders who have only some behind them.
Mid Abbotts first term such will be Bills following ,Tony will not risk a DD.
He may however do it early.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 3:40:22 PM
I..FEEL..it will come down to preferances

ok i vote 1
for elbow.[albo']
cause he stood for his beliefs
[ie did'nt run and hide..and is still*,..mates with BOTH*../kev/jules]

who would he preference?

my second choice
short odds on shorten..only cause bellyknows him

3 rd choice is thommo..
cause a good guy vouched..for him

but istill say..instal keating..
like lib/nats did in..qld opposition

paul as CARETAKER..opp/lead..until
while..we all cast our first preference
not knowing who our number two votes will go
as lowest vote numbers fallout..and their vote..given..to who so-ever they chose..still..inthe game

anyhow im over it
like i said..i aint got a horse in this race

but i..gotta zipper

secret ballot of course
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 11 September 2013 5:26:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy