The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is it racist?

Is it racist?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 64
  10. 65
  11. 66
  12. All
She called him an 'ape'.
Oh for crying out loud ! This bloke Goodes needs to change his name to Eve Pathetic if he wants to feign indignation. He is a footballer & therefore is justifiably compared to an ape. Look at those white footballers who are more ape than homo sapien. I say to all racists out there stop bleating racism when you're one yourself.
Only racists feign indignation.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 26 May 2013 8:52:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"so much for Antiseptic's mens rea."

It's the intent that creates the crime, not the actions alone, so indeed it is relevant. Your intent would be to insult his intellect and character rather than his race in this case, so you are not guilty of the heinous charge of racism.

I'd keep a weather eye out for footballers for a while though.

Having just been prompted to do so, I too looked up what had been said and it seems to me that Mr Goodes has overegged his impressively light and fluffy pudding of offence. Hard to do that, I'm told. Apparently such creations are often prone to becoming a bit rubbery and hard to swallow.
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 26 May 2013 9:00:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual - Oh for crying out loud ! This bloke Goodes needs to change his name to Eve Pathetic

:) :) :) :) :)

How pray tell can a single word with no racial overtones whatever barely be worth a shrug when used on a caucasian player but constitute the worst possible racism when used on an indigenous player ?? Are we talking about big strong football players or prima-donna girls ??
Posted by praxidice, Sunday, 26 May 2013 9:46:24 PM
Dear Jansey,

Of course Jigga Boo is a racist term and you have every right not only to be offended by it but to express your concerns to your friend.

We in this country are about 20 years behind the States with this issue. We are not capable yet of allowing our indigenous folk to take ownership of such terms in the manner of African Americans. That time though will come but it will take continuous effort. Unfortunately that burden falls largely on people like yourself. Perhaps it will cost you friendships but striving to educate those you care about sincerely, effectively and gently may serve to mitigate the likelihood of that happening.

I'm afraid I have little more than words to support you but I wish more strength to your arm.
Posted by csteele, Sunday, 26 May 2013 10:35:00 PM
Jansey,

I'm with C. Steele on this. It's one thing to try to humiliate someone by a look or a gesture, but words sometimes - in the presence of others - DO a great deal of damage, it's not just a matter of sticks and stones. If a word is used that is MEANT to hurt, and other people witnessing it do little or nothing, then by Christ, it is bound to hurt- it's a sort of social support for fukcwittedness.

That stupid girl certainly deserved to be thrown out of the game. And your friend needs a good clip around the ear.

Surely we can all be aware of how we use words, especially if we have any claim to be someone's 'friend' ? Let's stop playing around with words. Get some sense, some of you. Christ, what a bunch of dumb-@rses.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 26 May 2013 11:01:13 PM
In my younger days when I played Rugby League and often heard racist rants aimed at me (I'm Aboriginal) or at fellow Aboriginal players. On one occasion I stepped off the field of play and confronted one ranter by challenging him to put some boots on and to get out onto the paddock and play against me - or shut up. The ref stopped the game and came over to see what was happening and I told him what it was all about. After a while the ref just resumed the game, he didn't do or say anything. He was like many non-Aboriginal people who when asked if they condone racism say they do not, but often when confronted with an incident happening before their very eyes say and do nothing. When more non Aboriginal people learn that its their responsibility to intervene on behalf of victims of racism we will see less and less blatant racism occurring. Playing footy was perhaps the only level playing field I experienced growing up. It only lasted 80 minutes but at least everyone on the field were there performing on their own merits. Off the field, in education and employment or in most every other social environment, there was no level playing field and racism was an everyday experience. I know how Adam Goode felt and I would have done the same. Eradicating racism is everyone's responsibility! It would have been good for someone near that child to inform her that what she was yelling out was offensive. But alas, its still the victims of this kind of racism that are somehow seen as the only one's responsible for intervening and this needs to change!
Posted by Rainier, Sunday, 26 May 2013 11:03:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 64
  10. 65
  11. 66
  12. All