The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should I, Would you?

Should I, Would you?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Hasbeen - Was it the drivers side door if so then they knew they did it, but if it was say the rear passenger side door it is possible that it was kids in there and the owner of the car did not know.

If the damage was substantial and the person knew they did it, one would have expected that the person would have driven away.

So I stand by my comment.

Although short of saying you could see a gun in the car I would not have held my breath waiting for the police to come.

I always used to keep a cheap camera in the car never know when it would come in handy.
Posted by Philip S, Saturday, 20 April 2013 12:40:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Drivers door Philip, & I know it was the same car, it was white & had my rather unusual 1970/80s orange colour paint still on the door.

The police are a waste of time. When someone caught a couple of older kids keying random cars, in the same car park a while back, they held them until the cops came.

The cops took their names, without even checking if they were the right names, & told them not to be naughty in future.

Those kids had done a few thousand dollars worth of damage to 8 cars. I doubt they would do much to a slack careless slob, who could claim they didn't know they'd done it.

I can't see a photo of a bit of paint off would do much.

How about you suggest some way of getting these people to stop, unless the injured party personally takes action?
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 20 April 2013 3:03:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, well maybe, but first I would look, was it a female driver?
Seems to me this door opening step to the side and let them pass man, females SOME, have forgotten good manners are not just for men.
No Angele I would do my block but try to calm down, insist on photos and swapping details.
Getting the cash in the end is best out come.
But, lets be honest, I love old cars, more than rude drivers.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 20 April 2013 7:06:44 AM
It's not vigilante justice, simply retribution taken personally because it's clear that the mechanisms provided by the state don't work.

The fat fool who knocked my bike over smashed an indicator, drove the indicator stem through the fairing, bent the brake pedal into the clutch cover, giving it a deep gouge, broke the brake handle, smashed a mirror and bent the handlebar. If I had called the cops it would have been a case of my word against his and he would have simply denied it and walked away. As it was, he nearly had a heart attack and learnt a valuable lesson about respecting other people's property and doing the right thing. He's lucky he stopped when his window smashed - the next can was going through it aimed at him.
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 20 April 2013 7:19:18 AM
Dear Hasbeen,

I'm with Antiseptic on this one. The trolley idea
sounds good. How could they prove who did that?

As for calling the police? Nah. I wouldn't waste my
time. What guarantee would you have that they'd even
come out for this sort of thing. Nobody was killed
and I think that's what it would take for the police
to even bother.

Hassie, my heart goes out to you - your car sound
wonderful - and the other car owner deserves some form
of retaliation. Trollies or a baseball bat, or keying -
anything!
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 20 April 2013 8:28:41 AM
That's a bit odd, Lexi.

Judging by your recent eulogizing of the late Margaret Thatcher and your general demeanour, I see a person who has a reasonably strong adherence to Christian principles....

......I thought you might have advised Hasbeen to turn the other fender.

(What do you reckon the Dalai Lama would have done?)
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 20 April 2013 9:06:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy