The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A good man...?

A good man...?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Religion doesn't impress me and I'm constantly trying to understand its appeal to the millions of believers around the globe. Catholicism has recently elected a new Pope and he has become an instant celebrity,I suspect its due to his genuinely humble lifestyle.
I cringe at the sight of those who follow their faith without question and I would imagine some 'clever' entrepreneurs are mass-producing Papal coffee mugs right now. The Sth American continent hasn't had the best of luck over the journey and now in the midst of a mining boom this unfortunate occurrence threatens to stifle their future again.
The genuine popularity of this man makes it difficult for the tabloids and other 'popular' media commentators to rebuke any opportunistic politicians who prefer to follow some of the outdated values of the Bible,particularly in Sth.America but also here where some social issues are struggling for recognition in the modern world. I would be surprised if the Pope allowed himself to get involved in the Falkland Islands issue regardless of who's right. My point is the danger of backward thinking politicians, improving their own popularity on the back of this new Pope. Politicians with religious platforms have a disgraceful track record,particularly in regards to social division.
Posted by Whatsit2ya, Tuesday, 19 March 2013 7:48:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I started a thread and another ran too about the last Pope leaving.
I beleave in no God.
But looked for a reformer in the then unknown new one.
We may not see it, we may just have it.
I must admit I laughed at the instant tears and joy, seconds after this then unknown man was elected and white smoke billowed.
Will it change the rapes, maybe even child murders reported in Ireland?
Is being a good man possible if over looking the rapes we are reading about from all over the world, for how many century,s?
Shrinking in the developed world growing in poorer nations the future of the Catholic Church remains unknown.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 7:32:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The world doesn't impress me and I'm constantly trying to understand its appeal to the millions of believers around the globe.

Religion, or re-binding with God, is the only way out of attachment to the world.

It is not necessary to be a member of a formal religious order, or to believe in any particular doctrine in order to be religious - but for some people it helps.

Whether and to what extent will the Catholic Church under Pope Francis be a religious institution, remains to be seen. I wish him all success.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 7:58:51 AM
Wow.

>>The world doesn't impress me and I'm constantly trying to understand its appeal to the millions of believers around the globe.<<

That is without doubt, Yuyutsu, the single saddest statement I have come across on this forum, or any other.

The world is the most amazing, incredible and unique place that you, I, or anyone else can live in, discover or even imagine.

>>Religion, or re-binding with God, is the only way out of attachment to the world.<<

I could take issue once again with your chosen etymology of the word "religion", but will instead simply point out the implications of wanting to release your attachment to the world. We are all of us attached to this world by the thinnest of threads, which could break at any time, on any day. In some locations - Somalia, Sudan, Syria - life is uncertain even on an hourly basis.

To actually express a desire to voluntarily relinquish that attachment is monumentally unforgiveable.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 10:09:41 AM
I have never been able to understand how anyone can believe in a deity of any kind. Looking at the universe, the planet, or the people on it, I totally fail to find the hand of any god, anywhere.

However when a school boy, I was a member of my schools debating team. There were only 4 of us went to inter school events, usually the same three girls, & me

It just so happened each of these girls was the daughter of one of the ministers of religion in our town.

There were no catholics, they had their own school, but these girls, from three different christian denominations would often get together, & waste quite a bit of our preparation time, trying to convert me.

They had no chance, but they did convince me that the christian nations were a much better place to live, than were nations devoted to other religions. In this way they convinced me that the christian church is a valuable institution, even if I can't believe it's founding premise, or want to be involved personally.

Yes I know there have been some dreadful things done by the christian church, & Christians, & still are, but on balance I believe it is a force for good.

So I am happy for the catholics, & their new man, but I do wish the TV news rooms would get sick of him, & get him off the news casts
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 10:33:18 AM
I don't believe in gods...or vampires, werewolves, fairies or leprechauns!

I try not to knock other people's faith in an invisible being, if that is what gives them comfort.
However, when religious people try to force their beliefs on others, or manipulate laws to further their beliefs, then I will protest.

One of the favourite 'causes' of god-believers, especially catholics, is their anti-abortion stance.
What I don't understand is why they think their god will punish those who have abortions, but this same god apparently has no problems 'allowing' cot deaths, miscarriages, neonatal deaths and children's cancers amongst his 'creations?

The new pope won't be changing his churches views on any of these subjects, because he is yet another frail old man elevated to a high position in a patriarchal church by a large group of other frail elderly men.

Now, if they chose a young woman for their next pope, they may have more of a chance at change for the better...
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 20 March 2013 12:38:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy