The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Feminism - I have no problem with it, or for what it represents:

Feminism - I have no problem with it, or for what it represents:

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Yup, you're on the money there ONTHEBEACH. If governments provided public facilities, transport, parks and conveniences that were safe for ALL to use, rather then taking measures, gender specific, then I believe we'd all be far better served.

But there again, it's the same old question - Do they have the will to ensure sufficient protective measures are undertaken ?

I notice down in Victoria, the newly elected Liberal government, as a firm election promise, has determined they would place two (armed) PSO's (Protective Service Officers) at every suburbean Railway Station, until the last Train of each night.

Apparently crimes of violence, occasioned against females while waiting or alighting from trains, during silent hours, was inordinately high ? Thus the new government made good their promise, hence the PSO's. The measure was applauded by the public, but met with decided derision from Labour ?

A far better outcome than special, dedicated carriages for females ? What's your thoughts on the Victorian initiative, ONTHEBEACH ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 14 March 2013 4:44:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day to you too PELICAN...

Thank you for your superb contribution ! I believe you're right, when you observe that some women may join the feminist movement purely as an inclusive measure - to demonstrate to their female friends that they share their beliefs and ideals for a better 'deal' for women, rather then being converted to hard core feminism per se.

Perhaps too, they feel they 'have' to become (notionally) a feminist in order to be accepted and become inclusive with their peers, as I stated herein.

And I reckon you're also spot on PELICAN with your views; apropos governments may be engaging in a tiny bit of social engineering ? The gals Vs guys ! Look no further than Nicola Roxon, Penny Wong, and ors. in Federal Parliament (if misspelt, I'm sorry) ? The hammering they handed out to one, Anthony ABBOTT together with accusations of his misogynist opinions, as well as his alleged chauvinism etc ?

I still can't get this notion out of my 'thick' head, that a real, 'cast iron' feminist, more than likely is a lesbian ? Where there're many women who claim to be involved in the feminist movement ? In fact, they're simply only 'part timers' if you like ?

I must confess to you, I've had the immense misfortune to have arrested a number of REAL feminists over the years, and I'd like you all to understand, they are by no measure, ever to be confused with being 'straight' ! Please, don't ask me how I know this, just believe me ! Suffice to say, straight after putting the individual through the 'Charge Book' I immediately went for a long, hot shower. Thereafter soaking myself liberally with a powerful eau de toilette ! Perhaps now, you may've gathered my drift ?

Thank you for your contribution PELICAN.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 14 March 2013 5:48:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks o sung wu
I wasn't talking so much about indivduals joining the feminist movement to feel included or to give support to other women, but more that the goals are hazy and they are exclusive to women and fail to include the rights of men in the mix as well. Which is the way I think feminism should now direct it's energies.

Looking at issues not from specifically a gender perspective (although sometimes this might serve a good purpose in some cases in relation to men/women or girls/boys) but from the point of what is fair for everyone.

As for lesbians. They are a broad church and I don't think anyone can generalise. (Houlley will chide me for using 'broad church' but I can't put it any better) :)
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 14 March 2013 10:04:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry there PELICAN, I misunderstood you. You're referring to a public swimming pool being set aside for the exclusive use of women ?
Or a nightclub venue with admittance limited only to ladies ? Or similar ? I think the issue of the swimming pool, is based more on an Islamic imperative rather than purely on gender.

Though, these days there's nothing that would really surprise me. Everytime one picks up a newspaper, there's some 'crackpot' with yet another, even more divisive measure, in order to further separate the sexes ? Aren't we all supposed to live together in an equal, and harmonious existence ?

Thanks again for your imput, very much appreciated my friend.

My old eyes are getting tired, so it's probably time to 'park my pen', so to speak !
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 14 March 2013 10:43:36 PM
It is always nice to say 'Never you mind' and 'But there are other "crack pots" around'.

But that avoids any transparency, scrutiny and accountability. Nice if you can get it.

There has to be responsiility taken for the trumped up 'research', extremism and self-serving greed of the feminist elite in Australia who have been in cosy sinecures in academia and government for decades and have taken lead roles in advising policy.

Politicians come and go and they are always answerable in Parliament. That accountability doesn't apply to the feminist academics, bureaucrats and other middle class professionals who duck and weather the changes in government. Yet they should be as accountable as the parliamentary ministers who trusted them, took their advice and in some cases (the politicians) were white-anted and embarrassed where they did not.

There are tight networks of feminists who have played favourites, helping one another, through various government appointments for years.
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 15 March 2013 6:53:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there ONTHEBEACH...

Ain't it the truth already ! Feminists AND many others, pushing some weird causes, somehow manage to get a 'leg up' from governments ?

Thanks everybody for contributing to this modest little topic, I certainly appreciate all your efforts, very much indeed !
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 15 March 2013 1:57:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy