The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do we need and inqyuiry in to Union Coruption?

Do we need and inqyuiry in to Union Coruption?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 35
  9. 36
  10. 37
  11. All
Poirot,
YesI saw a typo in the heading of an article I put up recently and was dismayed. I normally read my postings but missed this in the heading.

Phillip S,
You lost me when you mentioned 'browser' because i have yet to come across any PC user that can tell me what a browser is precisely. We are expected to KNOW. Now my dictionary defines browse as to read through a book. Browser, a noun, an animal that eats leaves, twigs and shoots from bushes and trees, as distinct from one that grazes on grasses. Google no help. Wikipedia introduction and definition of Web Browser is about as clear as mud. Seems to be something entirely abstract, not related to reality. Like a description on a wine label.

I have spell check on 'word' but cannot get spell check when posting on forums like OLO. On word it is easy, click tools and then spell check.

Belly,
Sorry, back to topic. Yes there is a need for an inquiry into Unions. The recent revelations about the HSU and the AWU highlight the need. I see this morning that Abbott has promised an inquiry if elected.

Recently someone said, (may have been Butch), that Unions should be subject to the same checks and balances as public companies. Worth thinking about?
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 2 December 2012 2:57:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo - Quote "Google no help" you don't know the meaning of browser so go to Google and put in "meaning browser" the 2 very first entries will tell you.

Quote "read through a book" or read through an internet page.

Here https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

The spell checker works for nearly all forums I use and email etc
Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 2 December 2012 3:30:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly, no matter how you spell it we need a bloody inqyuiry or something into unions NSW. My partner lost her union coverage when she had no option other than resign from the HSU East. Now O'Farrell has them under the gun with sackings and forced resignations. As recently as Friday she rang me saying they want her back in the union and become a delo. I said until Thomson and Williamson are banged up, my advice is tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine,
Need some decent unions leaders with intestinal fortitude like Brian Parker from the CFMEU. Clean out the conservative sell outs and Uncle Tom's po the criminals, and then and only then might the union movement return to representing the Australian worker.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 2 December 2012 7:46:27 PM
GY is entitled to his chuckle
So is Philip s.
It is no ones fault but mine.
I do run fire fox.
And spell checker.
It let me down, but will except my mistake, it is OK rather be me than hold the views of Philip s.
First, let me say I an ex union official, And ALP activist, demand consideration be given to Abbott,s demands.
For the good of both movements.
I set myself these targets as an official.
Total service, even if it meant 17 hour days.
Total commitment to members,honesty,and valued most of all the trust and friendship of my members.
A side effect? the friend ship and trust of most bosses.
I believe we have too many unions, those such as the HSU are forever tainted,and should go.
Yet not alone,others have defrauded members, no worse crime for a unionist.
Growth in uninformed views, from hundreds of thousands of Philip s,fellow travelers will be fed by any failure to truly fix and punish offenders.
A Union, most of them, is the insurance you take out to insure not your life car or house but your work life and income.
Some clearly, have been run by thugs.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 3 December 2012 5:26:10 AM
I need the second post, to highlight why I think this way.
SOLIDARITY.
Many have heard me put that word down here.
It once meant something.
It today, in both movements, stands in the way of improvement and continuing accountability and growth.
It is a blanket used to cover filth.
I have no respect for Abbott.
But if Labor fights his wanted reforms, they fight two thirds of the country, in defense of the indefensible.
And put bricks on the chest of the union movement.
ONLY accountability and openness can help unions.
SOLIDARITY, is the reason HSU and other union theft is not heard of till too late.
It too CONSIDER THIS! lets criminals miss use union members funds, THEN HIDES IT IN THE NAME OF SOLIDARITY!
Posted by Belly, Monday, 3 December 2012 5:36:12 AM
Belly, what effect does the close organisational connection between
the unions and the Labour Party have ?

Does corruption flow both ways between them ?
What I see could be a problem is that a union official who has made
minor corrupt decisions as a union official and then becomes a member
of parliament, comes with a mindset for even bigger corruption.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 3 December 2012 8:01:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 35
  9. 36
  10. 37
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy